Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to drive... an automatic!
Slimy38

posted on 11/6/14 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
How to drive... an automatic!

OK, please don't laugh, but in 22 years of driving, and hundreds of thousands of miles, I'm yet to drive an automatic... until today. Enterprise have just dropped off an automatic hire car for me to use for the next couple of days!!

So I vaguely remember park, neutral, reverse and drive. But then the D has a + and - next to it, and the gear shift can move sideways. Do I need to worry about those?

Is there anything else peculiar to an auto, or will my decades of video game experience put me in good stead for not having to change gear?

designer

posted on 11/6/14 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
The + and - next to the D are there if you want to change gear manually.

Just stick it in D, and drive.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
karlak

posted on 11/6/14 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
If it is a VW with auto-stop/start, switch it off before each Journey.. It will do your nut in, until you get used how to drive around it.

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

nick205

posted on 11/6/14 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds more like a DSG type box to me.

Stick it in "D" and just push the stop go pedals as desired.

If you want to shift then knock the lever sideways as desired.

I think the last one I drove had a button to select whether it held the gear until you shift it or not.

D Beddows

posted on 11/6/14 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
I bought an automatic 6 months ago after 25 years of driving manuals...... I can get it to do what I want now but it actually took a while - if you drive anywhere with traffic though they seriously are the future once you learn how to drive them.

Fun? tbh no... apart from traffic light drag strip experiences - my 160bhp mapped Rover 75 CDTi auto Tourer can outdrag most chav cars which is most amusing if you're in the mood

Slimy38

posted on 11/6/14 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
It's a Hyundai i30, but it will still have start stop.

Aha Nick, I think you've just answered what the 'shift lock' button does!!

I think it will be pulling away that'll be the problem, I've already felt the 'creep' that auto's do so that should be interesting. I reckon I'll still be trying to operate the clutch as I drive off!

Slater

posted on 11/6/14 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
wait till you need to do an emergency stop, you will automatically sub conciously try to press both the clutch and brake at the same time.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

nick205

posted on 11/6/14 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slater
wait till you need to do an emergency stop, you will automatically sub conciously try to press both the clutch and brake at the same time.

Very disconcerting it is too when you're left foot keeps going until it hits the floor!

Scuzzle

posted on 11/6/14 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
When I used to work in the motor trade I occasionally had to drive customers cars home. I usually always jumped on the brake pedal looking for the clutch not long after getting in but only ever did it once, once I got it out the way I was fine.
Then I bought an automatic car and ran that for a few years and I got the hang of making my left leg redundant.

Slimy38

posted on 11/6/14 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scuzzle
I usually always jumped on the brake pedal looking for the clutch not long after getting in but only ever did it once, once I got it out the way I was fine.

Yes, I hadn't noticed how wide they make an auto brake pedal but I can imagine my gut instinct would end up with a bit of brake pedal where the clutch pedal should be!

minitici

posted on 11/6/14 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'm told that the 'correct' way to drive an auto is to use your left foot for braking.

Less chance of getting 'unexpected acceleration syndrome'

But until you get used to it there is the chance you will stomp on the brake thinking that it is the clutch!

Scuzzle

posted on 11/6/14 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
I would never dream of using my left foot for braking, when I used to look for the clutch by mistake you really slam on the brakes with your left foot, a full lock up job, best to put your left foot on the footrest at the side and just forget about your left leg. It would take a fair bit of trial and error to get the leg pressure effort right and get your left leg conditioned I reckon.
D Beddows

posted on 11/6/14 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
The secret to driving an auto is getting to know how to use the throttle to kick down a gear when you want - not the foot to the floor and kick down three gears one - only use one foot and after a while there is no way back for a daily car as changing gear just becomes a chore..... traffic jams are still boring but your left foot doesn't get cramp

For fun there is nothing better than a manual gearbox, modern motorway comuting? auto all the way

britishtrident

posted on 11/6/14 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Stick in D and leave it there.
Don't put it in neutral at the traffic lights.
Don't shift it manually --- it is amazing the number of accidents this has caused.

As it is a loan/renter you can treat it as you like but if you ever own a conventional automatic use kick down sparingly as the shock loads are really bad for the brake bands in the trans. It is likely to be a Jatco tranny variations of which are used by Toyota ,Nissan Ford, Jaguar Landrover VW and Rover 75 .

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

ReMan

posted on 11/6/14 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
As I'm occasioanlly in the same boat, I find that its best to0 mak a consious effort and tuck your left leg under the seat( so to speak) so its well awqy from the pedals.
I recon a days driving has you forgetting that geasr ecver existed and as said if you have to drive for anything but fun then auito;s are the future

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

mark chandler

posted on 11/6/14 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scuzzle
I would never dream of using my left foot for braking, when I used to look for the clutch by mistake you really slam on the brakes with your left foot, a full lock up job, best to put your left foot on the footrest at the side and just forget about your left leg. It would take a fair bit of trial and error to get the leg pressure effort right and get your left leg conditioned I reckon.

Did that first time I drove an auto..... Ooch big brake pedal in an auto cortina.

craig1410

posted on 11/6/14 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
I got my first automatic (BMW 535d) in August last year and adapted to it really easily. Even though I was previously in the camp of "manual is the only option for real drivers" the sport-auto box on the BMW is great and I would struggle to justify going back to a manual box now. In sport mode it even keeps the revs a bit higher and gives you engine braking when you lift off into corners and when going down hills. Kickdown is faster than I could change gear manually too so really good for overtaking.

Main advice I would give you is, as others have said, tuck your left leg away and consciously avoid using it. If you struggle with that then try taking your left shoe off as that will remind you not to use it due to the odd sensation when you do use it.

Not sure why BT is suggesting that you don't use 'N' when at traffic lights as I almost always do just that or put it in 'P' to avoid the drag on the torque convertor which is bad for economy. Just be aware that you probably need to put your foot on the brake before re-engaging 'D'. That can catch you off guard if you are rolling slightly on a hill as the lights are changing and then have to press the brake before you can engage 'D' but if you are rolling more than walking pace then it lets you switch between 'D' and 'N' without pressing the brake. Maybe this varies by vehicle though.

At the end of the day it all comes down to muscle memory but I was very comfortable after just an hour or two in the car. Have a read of the owner's manual if you can in case there are any special features you need to be aware of.

Enjoy!

rusty nuts

posted on 11/6/14 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Keeping the box in drive isn't a good idea as it can cause the transmission fluid to overheat due to slipping the internal clutches OK on a hire car but you wouldn't want to pay for repairs on your own car . Don't forget auto cars only start in N or P although some now only start in P
craig1410

posted on 11/6/14 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Keeping the box in drive isn't a good idea as it can cause the transmission fluid to overheat due to slipping the internal clutches OK on a hire car but you wouldn't want to pay for repairs on your own car . Don't forget auto cars only start in N or P although some now only start in P

Yeah exactly, when you're in drive there is always a slight amount of torque being applied to the wheels which reduces economy and as you say heats up the fluid. Best to go to 'P' or 'N' if stationery for any length of time.

Just to add to your point about the car only starting in 'N' or 'P' on my BMW I also have to press the brake before I can start the engine. I think that's quite common.

britishtrident

posted on 11/6/14 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Automatic transmissions 101
I am sorry to correct you but actually in a conventional automatic transmission with the car in drive and not moving the torque converter is in a stalled condition.
When a torque converter or fluid flywheel is stalled the first motion shaft of the transmission is not rotating and so there can be rubbing wear taking place in the clutches or brake bands.

[Edited on 11/6/14 by britishtrident]

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 11/6/14 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
quote:

Yeah exactly, when you're in drive there is always a slight amount of torque being applied to the wheels which reduces economy and as you say heats up the fluid. Best to go to 'P' or 'N' if stationery for any length of time.

Just to add to your point about the car only starting in 'N' or 'P' on my BMW I also have to press the brake before I can start the engine. I think that's quite common.

The heat build up is not significant in normal stop start driving and leaving the selector in "D" was the way an automatic transmission was intended to be used.
Heat soak towing a fully laden 22 ft caravan up the the Rest and Be Thankful is a different matter.

In any event as a fuel saving measure modern ecu controlled automatics disengage drive at zero speed and zero throttle with the brakes applied

[/I]

David Jenkins

posted on 11/6/14 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've had both manual and auto cars over the years. The biggest problem I have is when I go back to manual after driving an auto - the first time I stop I forget to use the clutch!

Otherwise, I agree with the comments above - for day-to-day driving in traffic an auto is ideal, but a manual is best for fun driving. It's great when you're in stop-go traffic, when you can just take your foot off the brake and let it creep forward, rather than having to change gear, dip the clutch, release the clutch, and so on for however long you're in the queue.

The only reason I don't have an auto now is that we can only justify 1 tin-top, and my wife hates autos (in reality, she's hopeless at driving them!).

morcus

posted on 11/6/14 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
As a disabled person I had proper driving lessons in automatics and BSM teach to put in neutral at the lights, and your penalised on the driving test for not doing it. In my Vectra it also made a significant difference to my fuel economy but modern systems might be different. It does also avoid accidentally setting off when combined with hand brake. I'm not saying BT is wrong, just thought it worth passing on whats taught by driving schools as I doubt many people here have ever had a professional driving lesson in an automatic.

If you find your self doing really tight parallel parking, or getting out of a tight spot you will discover the true wonder of creep, I've had automated manuals and which act like a conventional manual with the clutch pressed down when you don't press anything and really would want to go back to that.

I seem to have the opposite issue in that the last three times I've had a work hire car they've not provided an automatic so someone else has had to do all the driving (Fortunately there has always been someone else going) despite the rental request saying it should be an auto with the reason being automatic license.

In my experience it does seem to be women who, like David Jenkins wife, Really hate auto's.

[Edited on 11/6/14 by morcus]

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Benzine

posted on 11/6/14 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig1410

posted on 11/6/14 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.