Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheapish basic welder?
Damon Hill

posted on 2/12/04 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Cheapish basic welder?

What would ppl recomend? (I'm in the UK)
wilkingj

posted on 2/12/04 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Get as bigger welder as you can afford.
I have a (was) new Sip 150 Amp, cost me £225, its the best tool I have ever bought, and wish I had got one 20 years ago.
It has paid for itself over and over again, in money saved, by fixing the kids bikes, and even the wifes Egg baloon whisk!.

It owes me nothing. I only wish I had bought a 185 Amp job.

Try your Local Professional Welding shop first and see if they have any Ex Demo or ex works ones cheaper. ie a second hand professional one. not a hobby welder like mine. Nowt wrong with them, but a pro one would be better if you can get a good deal.

Forget those disposable bottles.
Get a Bottle of Argoshield or Argoshield Lite (BOC tradename) ie Argon with 5% CO2.
Its a hotter gas, and is the biz. However you need to rent the bottle for a year (£40 ish), and the refills are not cheap (£24). If doing a whole chassis from scratch, its well worth the expense just from a weld quality point of view. Shop around as BOC are NOT the only supplier of Gases.

I have now gone to Pub Gas CO2, not so good, a colder gas, so needs the Amps turned up a bit more to compensate. However, No rental, and £10 refill from my friendly Local Landlord. MUCH cheaper. DONT tell the brewery
Oh... watch out as some breweries taint the CO2 with nitrogen, which rather stuffs it for welding use.

Also with a Bigger bottle like the CO2 pub size, weld up a small trolley, and fix it all on there including the bottle. Its easier and safer to move it around the workshop.

Get good Leather Gauntlets, and a Leather skull cap, with a neck cover (bit like a foreign legion Kepi cap). Molten metal down you back is not nice

Get a good flip up full face mask. Or you will get a lot of sun tan!.

Get a decent Fire Extinguisher, and a bucket of water, and a First Aid Kit for the Workshop.

I am sure the others on the forum will add to this.. It sounds expensive... but its worth it.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cassidym

posted on 2/12/04 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
wilking, are you sure that CO2 is colder? I've never used Argoshield so I'm not doubting your word at all - it is just that everyone I've spoken to told me CO2 is hotter!

Maybe I've been given the wrong info!

Damon Hill

posted on 3/12/04 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, that's great info - I'll tell u what i get.

[Edited on 3/12/04 by Damon Hill]

Damon Hill

posted on 3/12/04 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've been offered a new Sip 140amp, for £170. Should I go for it? It sounds like a good price, but bearing in mind you said I should get a 180amp, would it be ok?
wilkingj

posted on 3/12/04 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I said get the best you can afford. I am out of touch with prices. My Sip is OK, I have managed to get the thermal trip out a few times, when welding the Car Port up.
But then it was 50 x 75 x6mm Angle Iron, and used two bits back to back to make a "T" for the roof spans... Probably a bit of over kill!.

I am sure that CO2 is a colder gas. But Am always open to a good discussion about it. ie CO2 cools the weld more than Argoshield. hence you need a little more welly on the power side!.

I have been trying the suggested... "Run it at MAX and move the torch quicker" style... Just done some of by best welds ever!..

Its just practice practice and more practice. Clean metal to start with, No paint and crap.

DONT weld Galvanised without grinding the Galv off as it gives off poisonous fumes when welded.

Buy a Cheapo (Sub £15) 4.5" Angry Grinder, You will need it.. I have two now!
One with a Cup Brush and one with grinding disk.

Look for 1mm wide slotting disks, great for cutting with, but wear out quick, nice finish to the cut.

I use Gardening Gauntlets, cheap, and work quite well.

Best Regards
Geoff

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 3/12/04 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
I said get the best you can afford. I am out of touch with prices.
Do shop around, you never know what you are going to find!

My Sip is OK, I have managed to get the thermal trip out a few times, when welding the Car Port up.
But then it was 50 x 75 x6mm Angle Iron, and used two bits back to back to make a "T" for the roof spans... Probably a bit of over kill!.

I am sure that CO2 is a colder gas. But Am always open to a good discussion about it. ie CO2 cools the weld more than Argoshield. hence you need a little more welly on the power side!.

I have been trying the suggested... "Run it at MAX and move the torch quicker" style... Just done some of by best welds ever!..

Its just practice practice and more practice. Clean metal to start with, No paint and crap.

DONT weld Galvanised without grinding the Galv off as it gives off poisonous fumes when welded.

Buy a Cheapo (Sub £15) 4.5" Angry Grinder, You will need it.. I have two now!
One with a Cup Brush and one with grinding disk.

Look for 1mm wide slotting disks, great for cutting with, but wear out quick, nice finish to the cut.

I use Gardening Gauntlets, cheap, and work quite well.

Best Regards
Geoff

cassidym

posted on 3/12/04 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Geoff, I must have been given the wrong info then - you do seem to know what you're talking about.

Regards.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.