Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA info.
Jamesc

posted on 7/4/16 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
IVA info.

Hello.

I've been searching the forums for the past hour continuously changing my mind about what to put on the IVA application with regard to weights.

Is the gross weight the same as the kerb weight? I.e. all fluids, no passengers etc?

And Axle weight is the maximum weight on each axle? There is no section to enter the 'design weight'

Car is a Spire GT-R with a zx12 engine... So based on the above I have Gross: 650kg and axles at 450kg each, does that sound OK?

Any help/opinions would be appreciated!

James

metel matt

posted on 7/4/16 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
It works out as:

MAX weight for front axle
Max weight for rear axle
and the maximum weight of the hole car loaded up witch should work out as front and rear axle combined

hope that make sense

Jamesc

posted on 7/4/16 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
OK thanks, I think that makes sense. It was just the wording in the application guide that got me:

"Design weight is the weight the vehicle can carry when fully loaded

The Gross weight refers to the weight of the whole vehicle

The Axle weight is the maximum weight an axle can carry"

So if I put 450kg per axle, the gross would be 900kg. Correct? I don't see anywhere that the application asks for the design weight though.

adithorp

posted on 7/4/16 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
The gross is the max it could be. Axle1, axle2, and gross total. Total should be equal or slightly LESS than the A1+A2 (that allows for uneven loading). If A1+A2<total = fail

At IVA they'll weigh the car (fully fueled) then add a fixed amount for passengers and luggage (from memory, 68kg passenger per seat and 7kg luggage per seat). The result has to be less than the declared goss weights. Kerbside (as weighed@IVA) weight + 150kg (2xpassenger+luggage) < gross total = fail

Thats the only thing it's used for as the brake weights are calculated from the kerbside weight. The only other time it might come up was if you were stopped on the road by DVSA (VOSA) and weighed but ithats unlikely.

I'd go with something like A1 450kg, A2 450kg, total 850kg though as much as 500/500/1000 isn't uncommon

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

big-vee-twin

posted on 7/4/16 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
mines just passed it is a seven type, but first time through it failed on the weights, they will allow you to adjust the figures on the day.

No's that passed

Front 400kg
Rear 450kg
Total 850kg

Car 650kg
Driver 100kg
Passenger 80kg
Luggage 20kg

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Jamesc

posted on 7/4/16 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Brilliant, thanks for clearing that up chaps.

I'll go with 450 + 450 and see what happens!

loggyboy

posted on 7/4/16 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I'd go with something like A1 450kg, A2 450kg, total 850kg

900kg maybe?

(or 450+400)

Mistral Motorsport

The Black Flash

posted on 11/4/16 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Thats the only thing it's used for as the brake weights are calculated from the kerbside weight.

Not so as I found to my cost
The design weight is used for the brake effort tests...mine passed with ease on the MOT man's rollers (using 18% or whatever of the actual weight) but the handbrake failed at IVA because it had to make the same percentage of the design weight, which the manufacturer gave as a vast 1100 Kg. This makes sense as the brakes would need to deal with the maximum weight it could be, but the quoted design weight was far too high. And you can't lower it once you've filled in the form...
My advice would be to make the design weight as low as you can get away with...it caused me no end of trouble. Around the 850 mark is probably good.

gremlin1234

posted on 11/4/16 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
weights are also used in checking tyre ratings. (not really a problem on light cars)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.