Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust coatings/wrap
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 3/10/16 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust coatings/wrap

Just wondered if anyone had done any serious investigation or research into exhaust coatings or wraps, and their effect or use of 7-esque cars?

My stainless manifold is looking incredibly dull, and trying to polish or buff all areas that I can physically get to doesn't appear to me in the slightest. It's an over-the-top rail 4-1 design and through the side of the bonnet, so plenty on show outside the vehicle....

I've soon some people wrap the headers underneath the bonnet area, but I've heard stories about this trapping moisture/smokey for a while after fitting/general PITA to wet and fit etc. etc.. Some of the coatings I've seen look nice, but are they worth the money?

Answers on a postcard, please.... (or below will suffice)

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

HowardB

posted on 3/10/16 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
I have wrapped the under bonnet section of the manifold, it has reduced the temp without any of the other reported downsides,.

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

nick205

posted on 3/10/16 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
I used a roll of heat wrap on my MK Indy 4:1 manifold on the under bonnet section. Wearing gloves and a face mask helped prevent too much discomfort and there didn't appear to be any downsides to the process. I have to say the remainder of the exhaust system looked OK for the time I had the car. I'm not a fan of polishing things myself either!

40inches

posted on 3/10/16 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
The graphited black wrap doesn't need wetting, does smoke for a very short while, but has lasted a few thousand miles and still looks OK
nick205

posted on 3/10/16 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
An image of my manifold wrapped up...

As I recall the wrap was supplied with metal bands to secure it. These weren't great and I ended up replacing them with Jubilee clips instead.

[Edited on 3/10/16 by nick205]

posted on 3/10/16 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Let it go purple and tell everyone it's unobtanium.

One I made for my bike.

Description
Description

CosKev3

posted on 3/10/16 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
I had my manifold and silencer done satin black by camcoat in Warrington.

Cost was just over £220.

I too don't like the look of stainless steel once it goes discoloured and polishing it up is deffo something I did not want to do!!!!

CosKev3

posted on 3/10/16 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

Hammy360

posted on 3/10/16 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
I bought some of the titanium fibre stuff, havent fitted it yet though

Hammy

The Black Flash

posted on 3/10/16 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
I had it on mine for a bit. (the gold-coloured volcanic stuff). It went on ok and definately worked, however the side effects meant that I eventually took it off. It keeps more heat in the exhaust gas so your silencer will get much hotter (from you-can-rest-your-hand-on-it to burn-at-the-slightest-touch in my case), the exhaust will get louder (may be an issue if you're tracking it), and it may also melt/blow the exhaust wadding out in short order.
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 4/10/16 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
My single link pipe is stainless and I was intending to leave it that way, and the exhaust can a carbon item; it was only the manifold itself I was planning on getting coated. The temperature part doesn't bother me too much (Zetec, so exhaust is passenger side), but the noise issue does. I might just take the plunge and get it done, and can always remove at a later date if I have to.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.