Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX10 cooling problem after radiator hole
Hakuraa

posted on 10/10/16 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
ZX10 cooling problem after radiator hole

Hi folks,
After some help with a ZX10 engine after I "cooked" it at Croft, when an overtaking car dropped something through the radiator (half way up) which I failed to pick up on until the engine had experienced mega heat (plug caps at the rear had melted to the head when I removed them and the head temp sensor failed).
This weekend:
Replaced the radiator with a new ebay copy, bled the system and no pressurization apparent when the engine is running at idle, however the temperature climbs to 95, the fans kick in but fail to hold the temp below 102. Took it for a drive and the temps seemed to be ok while air flow across the rad,75-80 ish, climbed while turning round, but dropped again to 80 once moving, then tried the rev range to prove the motor integrity (seemed fine) but the temps climbed very rapid to 105, so I shut it down and coasted to a stop. Coolant had been ejected from the system, I think from the rad cap as there is no evidence of a hose parting, so refilled, limped home and end of play for the day (rad cap was the one which came from with the copy radiator so may have lifted early).
Is it possible for the water pump/water pump drive to have been damaged, either through cavitating or heat (not sure what the impeller is made of) during the original faux pas. Copy radiator has 1 less horizontal water channel but seems very similar otherwise so don't think it is this.
What do the guru's think? All help appreciated.
Andy.

russbost

posted on 10/10/16 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately, my guess would be that it has blown the head gasket from combustion chamber to water jacket, probably only a small seep which isn't obviously pressurizing at idle. Do you have anyone local with a 4 gas machine could do a "sniff"test over the top of the rad (rad cap off, run engine briefly with the 4 gas nozzle over the water- if it's pressurizing you'll see HC's).

I wouldn't be worried by the temps you're getting, plenty of bikes run 110+ in hot weather, but if it won't keep the water in the system, then unless it's airlocked & needs a bleed I can't see much else it could be

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Hakuraa

posted on 10/10/16 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Russ,
I guess a trip to my local friendly mechanic is in order, once Peugeot finally make a tow bar for our 5008 with adblue tank, didn't tell me that before I ordered it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.