Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 24 volt powah supply
theconrodkid

posted on 18/1/17 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
24 volt powah supply

I have a 24 volt impact gun,the batteries are toast and it,s cheaper to buy a new gun than a couple of battery packs or new cells.
i have tried to re-juvinate them but they really are finished.
so...........would the power supply below do the job ?.

24 volt DC power supply enclosed switch mode 24V 10A 240W

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

gremlin1234

posted on 18/1/17 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think that psu would be good for an impact gun.
a) its only 240watt
b) switch mode power supplies and inductive loads are a bad idea
c) as well as being an inductive load the gun has hugely changing power requirements
d) you loose most of the advantages of a battery tool

SCAR

posted on 18/1/17 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
If you can live with losing the advantage of being wireless then two 12v car batteries wired in series would easily do the job. And easy to keep charged up using a standard battery charger (disconnect and do one at a time)
Of course this is only really economical if you already have the batteries lying around

[Edited on 18/1/17 by SCAR]

theconrodkid

posted on 18/1/17 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replies peeps,no spare batteries laying around and at the mo it is just taking up space,seems a waste to dump an otherwise hardly used gun.
ill keep an eye out for some batteries then

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

russbost

posted on 19/1/17 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
You can buy brand new 11Ah (or thereabouts) SLA gel bike batteries on Ebay which would be way more than adequate for the job at around £22ea delivered - I know I bought one for my booster pack when the battery finally died - bought a year ago & still performing as new & you don't lose all of the portability if you make a little carry case for them, you can still charge separately with a normal 12v charger which you probably already have?

HTH Russ

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
theconrodkid

posted on 19/1/17 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Russ,found some mobility scooter batteries,would they do ?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

SCAR

posted on 19/1/17 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Been running a good 14v battery drill (no batteries) off a lead and an old car battery. Perfect if you're prepared to manage the lead, which I made up using the old battery case. Just don't want to buy another drill when I have 3 good ones lying around with no batteries.
russbost

posted on 19/1/17 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
Cheers Russ,found some mobility scooter batteries,would they do ?

Yes, as long as they are sealed (sometimes described as SLA - sealed lead acid) & preferably gel so won't leak if tipped over. In some ways those are better than a normal bike battery as are more suitable & tolerant to deep discharge, they just won't give as much max current, but that wouldn't be an issue with a nut gun. I think I bought a YTX12-BS which is 10 or 11Ah bike battery, they were less than £22 delivered from Tayna Batteries, but just looked & they don't seem to do that one anymore. If the mobility batteries are a sensible price should be ideal

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
theconrodkid

posted on 19/1/17 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Volvorsport

posted on 19/1/17 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
take the batteries apart and replace the individual cells . just like they do on prius battery packs ....

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

theconrodkid

posted on 19/1/17 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
priced up the individual cells and it came to near the price of a new gun,unless you know of somewhere a bit cheaper ?,they are "C" and there are 32 of them in both packs

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

David Jenkins

posted on 19/1/17 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
My DeWalt drill's battery packs all gave up near-enough simultaneously (it came with 3 packs). This was either due to no using them often or, more likely, they were rubbish.

I did a bit of scouting around and found a supplier on ebay who sold me a clone battery pack for a fraction of the deWalt price. Of course, I had low expectations - but in practice the thing holds its charge far, far longer than the deWalt packs, and continues to work despite being neglected as much as the original units.

I'll see if I can find the supplier again...

theconrodkid

posted on 19/1/17 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks David

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.