Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A warning on the use of Grinders
DaveFJ

posted on 11/1/05 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
A warning on the use of Grinders

I - as many others - have been a little blaze' recently about personal protection whilst working in the garage...... and now have paid the price!

I always wear eye protection and stout gloves when using my grinder but i have not been in the habit of wearing a face mask - as it turns out this is a big mistake and I have just spent a miserable week with flu like symptoms (except the runny nose) brought on apparently by breathing in the hot metal dust. Apparently the very hot fine particles of dust embeded themselves in my throat - hmm nice.

anyway - I just thought i would pass on this little warning to others in the hope of saving them from a similair fate

[Edited on 11/1/05 by protofj]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

locoboy

posted on 11/1/05 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
just keep your gob shut!

ATB
Locoboy

DaveFJ

posted on 11/1/05 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
It went up my nose.... (also damaged up there - yuk)

wahey - just noticed I'm now officially a posting freak.....

[Edited on 11/1/05 by protofj]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Bluemoon

posted on 11/1/05 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Worth being very carefull with this one, any very fine particles can make their way deep into your lungs. The mechanisum to remove them is ineffective for very small particles. Long term effects of these particles is still very much unkown.... Best to were a face mask..
dern

posted on 11/1/05 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Good call, I had no idea... I'll get one.

Thanks,

Mark

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AdamR

posted on 11/1/05 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, interesting. I did a lot of grinding over the holiday period and whilst I didn't have symptoms like described I did develop extremely sore lips & nose. I was trying to work out what could have caused it as it seemed to coincide with work on my chassis. Bring on the face mask!
tractorboy

posted on 11/1/05 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
its not just the steel/aluminium that your cutting(ally dust even more harmful especially long term) but also anything eg paint,primer or preservative the metal may be covered in. best rule of thumb is cover all the five senses! goggles for sight,ear defenders for hearing,mask for smell and taste ,and gloves for touch. its better to look a wally whilst your doing it than to feel a wally after!

sorry lecture over ,be safe! scotty

krlthms

posted on 11/1/05 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tractorboy
its not just the steel/aluminium that your cutting(ally dust even more harmful especially long term) but also anything eg paint,primer or preservative the metal may be covered in. best rule of thumb is cover all the five senses! goggles for sight,ear defenders for hearing,mask for smell and taste ,and gloves for touch. its better to look a wally whilst your doing it than to feel a wally after!

sorry lecture over ,be safe! scotty

Also, don't forget to clutch your buttocks.

krlthms

posted on 11/1/05 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
Worth being very carefull with this one, any very fine particles can make their way deep into your lungs. The mechanisum to remove them is ineffective for very small particles. Long term effects of these particles is still very much unkown.... Best to were a face mask..

Unfortunately, we know more than enough already. Long term exposure could lead to mesothelioma, which is a cancer of the lung that affects asbestos workers and miners.
Luckly, the body is very resilaint, and as long as the exposure is short lived, the damage is unliklely to presist.
Take care.
KT

mad-butcher

posted on 11/1/05 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
just think of us guys who used to work in the ship building industry before health and safty even knew abouit such diseases
tony
and just remember when welding cover yourself up it might look like you've go a nice sun tan but beleive me that nice suntan causes skin cancer

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
splitrivet

posted on 12/1/05 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
So thats what they mean by "Iron lung".
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

MikeRJ

posted on 13/1/05 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krlthms

And your synchro is a bit worn you can double de-clutch your buttocks

krlthms

posted on 13/1/05 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by krlthms

And your synchro is a bit worn you can double de-clutch your buttocks

Rear-end fatigue

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.