Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: disposable mig gas bottles
ned

posted on 12/1/05 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
disposable mig gas bottles

I've run out of gas and hopefully haven't got much welding left to do. A local auto factor sells the disposable mig gas bottles of co2 (i normally use argoshield light i think) for around £10 irrc. Will these be the same fitment to the regulator i've been using on the boc bottles and will i notice much difference in welding with co2 as opposed to argoshield stuff?
Oh and for a bottle just over a foot high how long shoud it last! - ie is it a false ecenomy.

cheers,

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
v8kid

posted on 12/1/05 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'm just the opposite been using disposable bottles and have a substancial collection of empties - wish I'd bought a refillable at the outset.
Last about 20 min thats all.
CO2 is like night and day compared to argon. CO2 much cooler gives higher bead and less penetration, needs more amps - I use it for bodywork thats all.
Cheers
David

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DaveFJ

posted on 12/1/05 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
halfrauds and B&Q sell CO2/Argon mix in disposable bottle for about £9

doesn't last long but I would have said a lot more than 20 mins.....

disposal of the old bottles is a pain though

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

britishtrident

posted on 12/1/05 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
20 minutes is about right -- if you can reverse the polarity on your welder you mind find it makes mores sense to use "gasless" wire it produces not bad bad welds but they do need wire brushed after each run.
AdamR

posted on 12/1/05 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've been pleasently surprised using disposable bottles. Have so far tacked 70% of my chassis, and must have done about 30 fully welded joints of the usual 16swg 1" SHS and I'm still on my first bottle. I seriously expect to only use 3 or 4 bottles to do my entire chassis. OK, maybe 6 by the time I have the floors welded in.

I learnt to weld with argoshield and I'm now using C02. Personally I really dont think there is must difference. The C02 is noticably colder and you get a bit more brown residue, but I find it no more difficult to get a good weld. I do use a high power though.

If the gas does last for twenty minutes, that is still quite a lot of welding when you consider it takes less than 5 seconds to do an inch or so of 16swg mild steel.

You're price isn't bad, but you can get the 600g (50% more gas in the same size cylinder) disposables from Machine Mart for less than a tenner.

[Edited on 12/1/05 by AdamR]

andyps

posted on 12/1/05 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
You should get about 2 hours from a CO2 bottle, but only about 20 minutes from an Argon one.

A friend of mine did manage to refil a disposable bottle for me, but then changed jobs so couldn't do anymore. It always seems very wasteful throwing them away to me - there should be a return deposit on them I think.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

NS Dev

posted on 13/1/05 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
I use CO2 in a "pub type" (size Y I think) and pub type regulator, from Nuneaton Welding Supplies (NWS Gases).

This is £12 for the big bottle! No, little bottles make no sense!! One pub bottle will do at least a couple of chassis!!!

Yes, argoshield is much better for thicker work, but costs much more (especially including bottle rental) and I still do a lot of bodywork, where CO2 is nice to keep the weld temp down on very thin stuff.

MikeRJ

posted on 13/1/05 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I did pretty much all the main welds on my chassi with one of the high capacity disposable CO2 bottles from Machine Mart.

The last bottle I bought I went for Argoshield, and the difference is surprising. You need to spend quite a while messting around with the current and wire speed to get decent welds after changing the gas. At least I did, but perhaps I'm just rubbish

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.