Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Smaller grinder/discs
Damon Hill

posted on 18/1/05 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Smaller grinder/discs

I was reading in another thread about thin grinder discs, and I was wondering, are thin discs less sparky/dusty? I've got a grinder which is a bit heavy, and everytime I get loads of dust/sparks/noise, so would smaller grinder/discs be much better? Ben
britishtrident

posted on 18/1/05 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Use the correct disc for the job ---- cutting with a grinding disc produces a lot more dust & debris, equally well grinding with a thin cutting disc is not a safe idea.

For more delicate cuting jobs cut off tools are ideal really a smaller grinder -- ideal tool for cutting off old exhausts.

I might add it pays to use top quailty disc (I now use onkly Bosch) also a 125 mm grinder is a much more useful tool and grinds/cuts for longe without a disc change compared to a 115mm version.

[Edited on 18/1/05 by britishtrident]

Jon Ison

posted on 18/1/05 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
flap disc's i find are much more quieter, remove steel quicker and leave a better finish than grinding discs.

for cutting i use 0.8 or 1mm slitting discs.

[Edited on 18/1/05 by Jon Ison]

Jon Ison

posted on 18/1/05 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
here.......
http://www.garryson.co.uk/uk/products_abrasives.html

just a thought, we use these by the dozen ay work, we get a good discount, can find out price if anyone wants me too, will need to add postage though but for a box i would guess it would work out pretty cheaper than buying yourself over the counter. We also get up to 40% off Draper catalouge prices so if anyone spots owt they want in there gis a shout n i will find out best price we can get.

[Edited on 18/1/05 by Jon Ison]

Peteff

posted on 18/1/05 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
For grinding

I use a flexible nylon backing pad and some 60 or 80 grit fibre disks. They are cheap, last ages and don't make as much noise, sparks or dust as abrasive disks

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.