Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Garage/Workshop heater
RichB

posted on 19/1/05 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Garage/Workshop heater

Hi all.

I'm just getting my garage sorted for a build and being a big jessie I need a heater.

I have seen a few propane space heaters around and was wondering if anyone uses one of these and roughly how much they cost to run.

I presume these would be more efficient than the electric bar type of heater.

Any advice much appreciated.

Rich

David Jenkins

posted on 19/1/05 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
They are very good at heating a large space like a garage, as long as you get the right size (i.e. not too big!).

However, burning gas or parafin has a problem - it causes a lot of condensation. Any cold metal is likely to get a film of maisture on it after a while, which isn't too clever as far as rust is concerned.

The best electric heaters I have seen have been the near-infrared halogen ones, but they only give out radiant heat, i.e. they don't heat the air itself. Main problem with these is the cost - a 2-bar heater can cost £100 or more (but bargains can be found).

Recently I bought a unit of 2 halogen lamps on a tripod from Machine Mart. I only wanted extra light, but I find it helps to keep me warm as well! (2 x 500W lights).

cheers,

David

ned

posted on 19/1/05 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Are the electric oil filled radiator types any good for largish spaces like a single garage?

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 19/1/05 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
propane space heaters chuck out a lot of water and cost a fortune to run,i got a parafin one,runs on derv (chip oil?) only needs a 5 min blast to warm the place up

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

scoobyis2cool

posted on 19/1/05 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
When I'm cold I tend to find a job that doesn't involve much movement and set up a bar fire about 2 feet away

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JonBowden

posted on 19/1/05 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
If your garage is beside your house and you're good at plumbing, you could extend the central heating into the garage.
craig1410

posted on 19/1/05 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
I use one of those little 2KW fan heaters and it does me fine. My garage is a 23' x 10' x 8'(apex) size metal, "Storemore" garage which I have lined with polystyrene insulation. The insulation could easily be improved (and will be) but I find the little heater on full blast will take it from freezing point to about 12 degrees C (my preferred temp with boiler suit on) in about an hour. After that it will switch on and off to maintain the temperature via its thermostat. It only cost me about £25 from Index or Argos and can also be directed at items to act as a drier or for heating cold metal parts prior to painting.

As for running costs, I'm sure you could work it out but I have not noticed much difference in my electricity bill since I began using it. At most it might be costing me £5 extra per month for the use I make of it and obviously it is not really required in the summer months as 12 degrees C is easily achieved with insulation alone, even late into the night!

Cheers,
Craig.

locoboy

posted on 19/1/05 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
i can agree with the 2 x 500w lamps!

I used them to dry out the floor carpets in my old pug 205 when the heater matrix decided to give up the ghost, they provided the light to do the job at the same time as drying it out. i left them on for about 4 hours pointed into the footwell and it was nice and dry at the end.

ATB
Locoboy

David Jenkins

posted on 19/1/05 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
re: lamps

Hell of a lot cheaper than an infrared heater too - I paid around £20 for the lamps.

The only down-side has already been pointed out by Steve Gusterson - the lamps can dazzle and annoy you if they're in the wrong place. I've set mine up about 2 metres away and to the side, so I have no need to look towards them. The garage looks really gloomy when I turn them off!

David

DarrenW

posted on 19/1/05 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got 3 250W mini flood lights in the back part of garage, mailnly for light. Also have a smallish cheap halogen heater. To get the heat from the halogen to be circulated i place a fan heater on a shelf above to blow the heat around. Definitely no sauna but takes the edge of the coldness. (Garage is detatched 29' x 13' with pitch roof and single skin).

You dont need much heat in my experience. When it is really cold i just put the patio heater on for a short while (approx 10kW).

philgregson

posted on 19/1/05 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
My workshop is fairly large (approx 25' square and 8' high) with a wriggly tin roof.

I have a small cast iron stove (around 11KW) which for logistical reasons (The flue goes up to the roof and then exits the wall horizontally to minimase leakage) is sat in one corner about 6' from the door.

Although it is a coal burner I burn scrap wood, sawdust (with or without engine oil) and all sorts of crap on it and in about an hour the whole workshop is at a comfortable working temprature. Furthermore I can boil water and heat food on the top of it and have a rack for drying around it. Best of all If you can't be arsed you can even sit in front of it with a cup of tea and play at burning stuff in the primeval way that blokes do.

I can highly recomend it as a form of heating as it pumps out tons of heat and costs nothing to run.

Admittidly they are not cheap to buy but should be obtainable second hand. I am fortunate enough to be 'looking after' one for a friend who moved his studio to one with central heating

P

David Jenkins

posted on 19/1/05 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
re: stoves

Some nice ones here:

MM

I can see the appeal - but not sure if I could get away with it in my garage's limited space! (those of the Suffolk/Essex posse who've seen my garage will understand... ...especially while I'm rebuilding my engine! )

David

[Edited on 19/1/05 by David Jenkins]

DaveFJ

posted on 19/1/05 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't like the idea of any exposed source of combustion so went for an oil filled radiator. I went for an average size one (about 80cm wide I think) and it wasn't very expensive. It is on permanently at the moment because of the weather so is probably costing me a small fortune but seems to be doing a fine job at keeping the garage at an acceptable temperature and also keeping the nasty rust bugs away from my tools etc.

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Mix

posted on 19/1/05 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
I went for good lighting. I currently have 2000W of fixed halogen lights and 1500W of portable backing up 25' of flourescent. It's just a matter of switching on the relevant ones and enjoying the heat produced whilst being able to see exactly what I'm trying to do.
Total cost ,if memory serves was less than £100.

Bargain, (in my eyes )

Mick

David Jenkins

posted on 19/1/05 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
You can probably make toast with that lot!

David

Mix

posted on 19/1/05 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
It's a big double garage in the north of Scotland. Believe me, I need them.

Mick

DarrenW

posted on 19/1/05 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
I heard recently that NASA were trying to locate the source of the light polution from Northern Scotland. Apparently it has affected a satellite taking pictures in outer space............

For years i thought the Northern Lights were a natural phenomena but couldnt work out why they onlay appeared between 18.00 and 23.00.

Mix - i like your style. Our local football club doesnt even have lighting that good. I hope its a touch larger than a single garage! Theres no substitute for Watts!

NS Dev

posted on 19/1/05 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
I have a halogen heater which I got from some little diy shop, was £15 and is 1.5 KW. It heats me up nicely, but not the air.

My garage is 30' by 15' and I am contemplating getting a cast iron stove, for the really useful reason of combining heat and waste disposal, as was mentioned above.

Northy

posted on 19/1/05 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JonBowden
If your garage is beside your house and you're good at plumbing, you could extend the central heating into the garage.

I'm seriously considering doing this!

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

JoelP

posted on 19/1/05 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
you big softies, what do you think hacksaws are for?!

im thinking of getting a stove, or maybe making one (hell, it cant be that hard...) cos i get a crap load of waste wood from work (fitting kitchens). nice and free and fun!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Rorty

posted on 20/1/05 at 04:29 AM Reply With Quote
An engineer friend has a waste oil heater he made up from bits of scrap including two 21" truck rims. I don't know how thick the rim walls are, but that baby glows white hot in parts when she's given the juice. Bloody loud at that point too.
Here's a waste oil heater kit

and instructions to MYO waste oil heater.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

RichB

posted on 20/1/05 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the advice.

I think I'll probably go for a combination of lighting and electric fan heater. I may well get one of those oil filled radiators for background heat (as DaveFJ says to keep the "nasty rust bugs away".

I got some draught excluders for under the garage doors, delivered from screwfix today so at least the wind'll stay out now!

Roof insulation is the next job.

Thanks all

Rich

rusty nuts

posted on 20/1/05 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Why bother, summers on its way soon and besides it does'nt get that cold in Cambridgeshire, mind you Huntingdon is slightly north. Where abouts in Huntingdon are you, my car is in Bar Hill , Rusty
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 20/1/05 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
Why bother, summers on its way soon.......mmmm Come north and you will feel the differance. This is from someone who lived in the tropics before I came back here! The space heater I use is the smallest from machinemart and a 20 quid bottle lasts 3 weeks when used hard. The door has to stay open but it will be up for sale soon as Im plumbing the central heating in as Im doing the bathroom plumbing at the same time. So watch this space......heater
RichB

posted on 21/1/05 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Rusty, I've actually just moved to Sawtry - need to update my profile. Sawtry is a good 5 miles more polar!
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.