Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chobert rivets
JeffHs

posted on 3/2/19 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Chobert rivets

This is way off topic but we all like rivetting, don't we?
Does anyone have a formal process description of the setting procedure for chobert rivets? I've scoured the web and have only found 2 references - a GKN list which is just headings and no further links, and a SAE site where they want lots of dosh for a download. I've found the Cherry datasheets that describe hole diameter and 'grip' lengths but no further process details.
I need to fit some, have experimented and I'm happy with the results but I have to convince the 'man' that it's been done properly (can't go into detail!)

For info, choberts were invented in the 1930s and used extensively in WW2 and post war aircraft and are now widely used for rapid production in things like racking. They are fast fit blind rivets, sometimes known as speed rivets designed to be fitted by unskilled operators. Unlike pop rivets they are fitted by pulling a re-usable mandrel through the rivet which expands the rivet to fit the hole leaving a hollow fixing which can be filled with a tap-in pin to make effectively a solid rivet. They're usually installed with rapid fire air guns using colletted rivets but it can be done manually as a single rivet with the right gun.

SJ

posted on 3/2/19 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
There's a few videos on youtube.
JeffHs

posted on 3/2/19 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
I know but I don't think the authority will accept a video.
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 3/2/19 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Considering the comments made about when they were invented and original use, have you tried contacting a group who maintain / restore historic aircraft?

If that doesn't work, try a science museum perhaps.

loggyboy

posted on 3/2/19 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
google books link
Mr Whippy

posted on 4/2/19 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JeffHs

I need to fit some, have experimented and I'm happy with the results but I have to convince the 'man' that it's been done properly (can't go into detail!)

? why is it a national secret??? are you building a WMD...

If it's for the plane, I'd simply phone around restoration companies or go on forums for aircraft building

You know a quick google and I found this -

linky

and this -

linky

Fitting details should be easy to get hold of.

Tbh when it comes to building planes fitting the actual fastener is only a tiny part of the process, I'm sure the inspector is much more interested in the process you use for drilling the hole correctly, cleaning up the surfaces and alignment of the parts more that you popping a rivet which is easy to check anyway but can hide all sorts of naughtiness

[Edited on 4/2/19 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hughpinder

posted on 4/2/19 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Here is a link for hole sizes etc if it is any use:
https://www.baysupply.com/ASSETS/DOCUMENTS/ITEMS/EN/BA-01122-00404_SpecSheet.pdf
Not sure that is really what you wanted though.
Regards
Hugh

JeffHs

posted on 4/2/19 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the responses. I agree entirely with Mr Whippy's comments re fitting and I have a good relationship with my inspector, but we're struggling against the bureaucratic juggernaut. What I'was tying to do was find a formal document that I can wave under their noses to help them make a decision.
gremlin1234

posted on 4/2/19 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
"Avdel®, Chobert®, and Speed Fastening® are trademarks of Avdel UK Limited"

UNITED KINGDOM
Avdel UK Limited
Pacific House
2 Swiftfields
Watchmead Industrial Estate
Welwyn Garden City
Hertfordshire AL7 1LY
Tel: +44 (0) 1707 292000
Fax: +44 (0) 1707 292199
enquiries@infastech.com

http://www.avdel-global.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Data/PDF/Product_Flyer/EN/Double_Flush_Chobert_EN_NA.pdf
https://appianfasteners.com/media/downloads/7537.pdf

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.