Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Caliper overhaul
kango

posted on 1/2/05 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Caliper overhaul

Where do I start and what special tools and knowlage do I need to overhaul std Cortina front calipers?

Any hidden snags

rusty nuts

posted on 1/2/05 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Before starting check out availability and cost of seals, pistons and bleed nipples. Also worth checking cost of reconditioned units, DO NOT undo the bolts holding the caliper halves together as seals are probably not available, clean exterior . Clamp one piston in bore using G clamp , use compressed air or possibly master cylinder connected and bled,press out piston, clean bore using brake cleaner, fit new seal and dust cover to bore .Lubricate seal with brake fluid, GENTLY insert new? piston to bore, repeat with next piston.
blueshift

posted on 1/2/05 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
the seals aren't a big deal, brakes international sell them for a few pence. The bolts however are a different matter, they are some sort of special bolt that's done up to a special torque so as to remain in the elastic range or something (I'm not an engineer). The original caliper manufacturers specifically don't make replacements available and I think they're one-use only.

unfortunately I don't have sources for this information, but I decided to get recon ones from a reputable company and let someone else worry about it.

Front brakes - not the place to take chances imho!

[Edited on 1/2/05 by blueshift]

Mark Allanson

posted on 1/2/05 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Darren at Dozracing supplied my recon kits - genuine units - the best.

You will probably need a grease gun to pressure the pistons out, and a G clamp to retain the first one to 'pop' while you pressure the second out. Reassembly is very easy, but please do make sure the units are VERY clean before you start. The slightest fragment of dirt will ruin the whole job. Rescued attachment Caliper Recon.jpg
Rescued attachment Caliper Recon.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.