Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Small sand / bead blasting cabinet
lsdweb

posted on 29/5/05 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Small sand / bead blasting cabinet

I'm thinking of buying a small sand blasting cabinet as I've loads of parts I need to clean (Mini restoration). I was wondering how good they actually are?

I'm looking at the Screwfix Sand Blasting Cabinet

JohnN

posted on 29/5/05 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
I did my front hubs & other bits in a Machine Mart (Clarkes) one (Product Code: 051710061). It was very good, though I think the abrasive lost its efficiency towards the end. I guess it loses its sharpness and needs to be replenished. However it took rust off, no problem down to grey metal.

Now I'm done with it, I'm thinking of selling it - approx. 1 yr old, half price,
Interested?

theconrodkid

posted on 29/5/05 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
i got 1 from screwfix,after i fixed the leaks its not too bad,£40 to you with 2 types of bead

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

wilkingj

posted on 29/5/05 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
I built mine. Cost me £50. 25 for the metal and 25 for the gun (Clarkes).

I welded up a 700mm Cube, with hinged lid. I sealed the lid with Draught excluder strip from B&Q.
I put a 1.5" pipe (4" long) through the side, and strapped a cheap sponge on the inside with a plastic Tie wrap ( for the Filter)
I welded a bit of 8mm bundy pipe through the side for the air supply and put the gun inside, and an airline pipe / fitting on the outside.

I cut a hole in the side and drilled and bolted in a bit of Acrylic. I bought some new tear off clear sheets (for blasting cabinets) from Machine mart spares (ie to stop the acrylic getting scratched) sealed the acrylic with B&Q tape.

Inside the bottom slopes into a V, I should have done 4 slopes into a upside down pyramid with a drain facility to get the dirty sand out. ie a cloth funnel at the bottom tied up with string.

Inside I welded two bits of angle to hold up a bit of mesh ie the floor (with sand below)
I used swimming pool filter sand, its 1/2 the price if Machine Mart grit.

WARNING HERE.... Sand produces VERY FINE dust. I use a Very fine Filtered face mask, cos I dont want to get Silicosis which is what miners get. (Like Emphaseima - not sure on the spelling ie breathing problems)

I have some M/Mart grit and its good.

I use an old knackered hoover piped up to the 1.5" outlet pipe to draw the air out of the cabinet, through the hoover filters.

A cheapo bulkhead light fitting from B&Q so I can see what I am doing!

I got the Gloves (rubber gauntlets) from the local hardware store, and thats about it.

It works very well.
You do need a good compressor.
I have a 3HP, Clarke Industrail one,. 14CFM and it makes that run continuously, but it doesnt run out of steam!.

hope this helps.
There is a piccy of it in my archive. Its the garage shot, and it on the right hand bench, 700mm Red Oxide cabinet!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lsdweb

posted on 30/5/05 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys

What size compressor are you using?

Jonr

posted on 30/5/05 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
what no electrolysis???
theconrodkid

posted on 30/5/05 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
you need a lot of air,i have a 25cfm 3 cyl jobie and that only just runs it,its for sale at £500 if yr interested

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

ayoungman

posted on 6/6/05 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
sand blast cabinets.

I made mine. There very useful when you need one but takes up a lot of garage space for most of the year when you don't. It's quiet cheap to get it done professionally. Eg. you can get a whole body shell done for £200 quid ! Mines made from marine ply ! I've used it 30 times so far without any noticable problems !

"just like that !"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.