Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Heating a leaky garage the locost style?
tegwin

posted on 18/9/07 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Heating a leaky garage the locost style?

Seeings as winter is comming again, I really dont fancy spending the next 4 months shivering away in my drafty garage... Some years its so cold in there I swear I might actually start sticking to my steel tools...

Its a concrete double garage built into a hillside woth one very leaky door...

Now I can potentially seal up the door a bit better and insulate it, but....

What is the best LOCOST way of heating such a large space effectivley? The turbo fan blowers in machinemart look ok, but they aint cheap!

Dangle_kt

posted on 18/9/07 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Seeings as winter is comming again, I really dont fancy spending the next 4 months shivering away in my drafty garage... Some years its so cold in there I swear I might actually start sticking to my steel tools...

Its a concrete double garage built into a hillside woth one very leaky door...

Now I can potentially seal up the door a bit better and insulate it, but....

What is the best LOCOST way of heating such a large space effectivley? The turbo fan blowers in machinemart look ok, but they aint cheap!

I use a cheap infra red heater, it doesnt waste energy heating the air - just you and the stuff around you - cost £9 and works a treat.

It needs to be pretty close by - so it may be worth getting two seeing as your garage is a double.

graememk

posted on 18/9/07 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
gas is good but bad for unprotected metal

those outside electric patio heaters are good and is what i use.

Worzey

posted on 18/9/07 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a spare wall mounted fan heater that came out of the bathroom.

Sounds like its a bit too small and weady for what you want but its yours if you want it for the price of the postage. It might take the edge off the cold

Caterham R400

tegwin

posted on 18/9/07 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
I had looked at them...

The infrared light isnt going to have any negative effects on my eyes or skin is it?... Just a bit worried lol...

Glad you mentioned that...silly me for forgetting that burning gas produces water vapour....not good for metal

David Jenkins

posted on 18/9/07 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Avoid using propane/butane or paraffin heaters - they can put a lot of moisture into the air, which condenses onto cold metal and causes rust. (oops! Too slow)

Ever thought about a wood-burner? Could you install a simple pipe chimney? Machine Mart sells stoves - but the cost adds up when you factor in flues etc.

[Edited on 18/9/07 by David Jenkins]

Dangle_kt

posted on 18/9/07 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
I had looked at them...

The infrared light isnt going to have any negative effects on my eyes or skin is it?... Just a bit worried lol...

Glad you mentioned that...silly me for forgetting that burning gas produces water vapour....not good for metal

well I wouldn't get within a few inches for long, but you'll be considerable distance away most the time so will be fine.

I try not to look straight at the tubes, just because I'd ratehr be safe than sorry.

I doubt they would be allowed if they were dangerous and they've been around for years. plus they have different settings.

plus for £9 if it doesn't work its a good back up in case your other meathods you invest lots of cash in - break or run out.

hobbsy

posted on 18/9/07 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Where did you buy one for £9 as when I bought mine I looked everywhere at it was about £20-£30 IIRC.

We're talking about the same things, like a metal floodlight but bigger and with an IR tube in it. The replacement tubes are more than that IIRC.

Peteff

posted on 18/9/07 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Infra red doesn't harm your skin or eyes, that's ultra violet. IR is used in a lot of muscle treatments/physiotherapy so it might actually do you some good

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Ivan

posted on 18/9/07 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Work realy fast - friction is a great heater

JonBowden

posted on 18/9/07 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Obviously you want to add as much insulation / draft proofing as is practical.
If your garage is next to the house, you might extend the central heating to add a small radiator in the garage. This should take the chill off and give you something warm to lean against

Jon

Dangle_kt

posted on 18/9/07 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
Where did you buy one for £9 as when I bought mine I looked everywhere at it was about £20-£30 IIRC.

We're talking about the same things, like a metal floodlight but bigger and with an IR tube in it. The replacement tubes are more than that IIRC.

B&Q, it aint big or anything and defo not industrial, its a cheap plastic item and was on special @ £9, usually £14ish I think. Rescued attachment 005.JPG
Rescued attachment 005.JPG

Paul TigerB6

posted on 18/9/07 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy

I have been looking at these myself - outdoor patio heaters at around £27 on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WALL-MOUNTED-1300W-INFRARED-GARDEN-OUTDOOR-PATIO-HEATER_W0QQitemZ220150802485QQihZ012QQcategoryZ106402QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

Not sure how much these are in the shops......anyone looked?? Do Costco / Aldi / Mackro sell these??

[Edited on 18/9/07 by Paul TigerB6]

BenB

posted on 18/9/07 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
If it's cut into a hillside the loss through the walls isn't going to be much. The leaky door is going to be the main problem.....

Short of sorting that out I can personally recommend a Dickies thermal worksuit. Even in the midst of winter that badboy gets too hot and I have to start unzipping it to let steam out!!! I've got a cheap oil filled radiator but must admit I never use it since getting the Dickies suit. I'd say its pretty Locost (using your own body heat to keep warm!!)...

http://www.dickiesstore.co.uk/dickies-workwear/dickies-and-redhawk-overalls/dickies-deluxe-overalls/WD2360R/0/

Whatever you do don't use a cheap convection (blower) heater with a coiled element (bar IR elements are okay). The use lots of energy blowing round cold air, give of poxy amounts of heat for the energy they consume, give off really bad smells if you get glass fibre dust on the elements and if you get iron fillings on them from angle grinding they tend to blow!!! My brother got through 3 of them before realising they're shite!!!

[Edited on 18/9/07 by BenB]

MikeR

posted on 18/9/07 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
tried heating mine using a convection heater .... it got to the point i'd leave it on an hour before going into the garage and it would still then be damned cold.

tried the infra red heater and it was good stood next to it - but had a range of about 3 feet.

This summer i've boarded out the attic space (just finishing it now - started months ago). i'm also going to foil line (and if i find enough / can figure out how to still access the attic space bubble wrap between the foil and boarding)

The plan is to reduce the drafts from the roof space / reduce the volume to be heated. If i can then insulate the garage door (I 'gave' my dad the insulation i'd acquired) i think i'd be ok. Its a single skin garage so will never get warm but should be bearable.

As for clothing, i've tried thermals, layers etc but for me the biggest problem is cold hands. Once they get cold i can't pick stuff up and work.

If all else fails, 150 amp welder on full power and run a series of beads on some 5mm steel. that should radiate heat for a while

DarrenW

posted on 18/9/07 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
i used one of those halogen cheapo heaters with a fan heater above it to distribute heat batter in my old large garage with pitched roof. Worked great.

You dont need the garage to be toasty warm when you are working, just the chill taken off it.

nick205

posted on 18/9/07 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Ever thought about a wood-burner? Could you install a simple pipe chimney? Machine Mart sells stoves - but the cost adds up when you factor in flues etc.

[Edited on 18/9/07 by David Jenkins]

Nice - you could get a sofa and telly out there too. Possibly even some tea brewing facilities to help keep the chill out.

bartonp

posted on 18/9/07 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
True Locost style:

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/me11.html

MikeR

posted on 18/9/07 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
dont forget a kettle, toaster and internet connection
Andy W

posted on 18/9/07 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Pot belly stove, Cheap to run. Wouldn't be without it.

garage Stove
garage Stove

Andy

UncleFista

posted on 18/9/07 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy W
Pot belly stove, Cheap to run. Wouldn't be without it.

Andy

Seconded, hot as you like in a few minutes and burn almost owt, from chipboard to coal.

You can even boil a kettle on it

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

MikeR

posted on 18/9/07 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
don't be daft man, we're locosters, hold it in front of the infra red heater, why else did you buy three pairs of welding gloves when they where on special offer
JimSpencer

posted on 18/9/07 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Before trying to heat it.

Insulate it.

Use those brush type insulating strips round the sides of the garage door.

If the door is the metal up and over type, these work like a big radiator in reverse (any heat you put into the garage they radiate to the outside) Insulate all the back of it with 1 inch polystyrene (the fire protected sort, big sheets from Wickes or B&Q ).

You must insulate under the roof with whatever material you can get in there - again polystyrene is good and cheap - Kingspan is better.

Secondary double glazing looks naff but works.

My double garage is heated by 2 oil filled radiators on timer switch's - quite comfortable even in the middle of winter and no condensation either.

Hope this helps

tegwin

posted on 18/9/07 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it is an up and over garage door...So im going to give that a shot...fitting draft excluders and insulation...

Where is the best place to get the draft excluders from?..The gaps are quite large!

And as for insulating the roof....Its nearly 1.5 feet of reinforced concrete....Think thats plenty of insulation....lol....Im pretty sure the builders thought they were building a fallout shelter!

[Edited on 18/9/07 by tegwin]

Avoneer

posted on 18/9/07 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Gave up reading all that - tumble dryer every time wins hands down (and keeps SWMBO happy).

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.