Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Remember to wear gloves
Mr Whippy

posted on 26/9/08 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Remember to wear gloves

Though the camera photo doesn’t do it justice, I have quite red stingy sunburn on my hand from welding up my friends very rusty golf, actually is quite a bright shade of red and you can see where my jumper sleeve ends.

Just a note to wear gloves when welding, and not to offer to weld up friends very rusty golfs….

[Edited on 26/9/08 by Mr Whippy] Rescued attachment my hand.jpg
Rescued attachment my hand.jpg

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 26/9/08 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
nasty!
scootz

posted on 26/9/08 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Pah... gloves... ?

Are you Mr Whippy, or Mr Wimpy? You'll be recommending eye protection next!

Real men weld / grind with bare hands and with matchsticks (smacked in place using a hammer course!) to keep their eyelids wedged firmly open!

Health and Safety... whatever will they think of next!?

rallyingden

posted on 26/9/08 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Hey.......... If ya get sunburn like that I'm off to weld with just my shorts on ....... Cheaper than Spain AND I get some work done

RD

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/9/08 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Pah... gloves... ?

Are you Mr Whippy, or Mr Wimpy? You'll be recommending eye protection next!

Real men weld / grind with bare hands and with matchsticks (smacked in place using a hammer course!) to keep their eyelids wedged firmly open!

Health and Safety... whatever will they think of next!?

Hmm I do tend not to wear safety glasses, as I scratch them and make them useless. Had a flapper wheel disintegrate on this car too, bits everywhere with only about 30% of the pads left (did ditch it afterwords) don't even know what I hit to cause it to explode like that. Then I see others grinding with specks on and their pointing the sparks at their face! just asking for trouble. But the more you work on cars the less safe you tend to get and bad habits creep in

[Edited on 26/9/08 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 26/9/08 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
That's a fact!
02GF74

posted on 26/9/08 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
hmmm, interesting. the older I am getting, the more h&s conscious I appear to be; whcih kinda does not make sense as you should look after eyes, fingers etc, when younger as they need to last you for a longer time.

I always were eye protection when drilling and grinding; last time I did some sawing, a piece of debri got flung up so I probably will start to wear specs when doing that too.

At this rate by the time I am 80 I will be donning an asbstos protection suit when entering the garage!

chris_smith

posted on 26/9/08 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
i used to weld up towbars for a living and in the summer always had T-shirt and shorts on was cheaper than going to sunbed shop thats for sure

chris

The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."

trikerneil

posted on 26/9/08 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
I've had to have grinding swarf scraped out of my eyes and a couple of doses of arc-eye in my younger days, not nice, trust me on this.

I do go for a bit of protection now

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

Davey D

posted on 26/9/08 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, ive had that too.. got a steel splinter in my eye... Note that i was wearing eye protection, but it still got in...
At the hospital they put local aneasthetic eye drops in, then my head was held in place in a large metal frame to stop me moving, then the doctor shines a bright light in your eye, and uses a large magnifying glass to see what hes doing, then proceeds with picking it out of your eye with a small needle....

Sounds much worse than it is though

hoots_min

posted on 26/9/08 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Another reason to wear gloves when grinding, I also had a cutting disc shatter on me but I ended up with a severed tendon - cutting discs make a bit of a mess of tendons! Was wearing welding gloves aswell!

Cutting Disc Shatter

Today is a good day: I achieved new heights of ineptitude.

posted on 26/9/08 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

At this rate by the time I am 80 I will be donning an asbstos protection suit when entering the garage!

NO NO NO, don't do that.

I had a mate that died from asbestosis.

It took 3 weeks to cremate him.

Paul G

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/9/08 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

NO NO NO, don't do that.

I had a mate that died from asbestosis.

It took 3 weeks to cremate him.

Paul G

PMSL

jacko

posted on 26/9/08 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
Yep, ive had that too.. got a steel splinter in my eye... Note that i was wearing eye protection, but it still got in...
At the hospital they put local aneasthetic eye drops in, then my head was held in place in a large metal frame to stop me moving, then the doctor shines a bright light in your eye, and uses a large magnifying glass to see what hes doing, then proceeds with picking it out of your eye with a small needle....

Sounds much worse than it is though

Been there done that got the t shirt + my own seat at A&E
I should be on the nhs xmass card list
At the last count about 14 scars and lots of trouble with my eyes
That's the fun of been a welder for a living
Jacko

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.