Board logo

Is a steering lock required for the MOT on a 1985 car
Mr Whippy - 22/12/14 at 11:24 PM

yeah as above, do I need one to get through? conversion issues are making life hard if I kept it and I have much more effective devices fitted

thanks

adithorp - 22/12/14 at 11:27 PM

No.

Mr Whippy - 22/12/14 at 11:31 PM

even for here that was a quick reply

looks good then, just going with my motorbike chain through the wheel anyway...

cheers

theprisioner - 23/12/14 at 09:54 AM

I have not seen any mechanical anti theft device that cannot be removed quickly with your average battery powered 4 -1/2" angle grinder and a 1mm cutting disc. I would on the other hand have great difficulty with an immobiliser esp if it was part of the ECU design (Like Ford PATS).

r1_pete - 23/12/14 at 10:32 AM

Many years ago we had an Astra GTE stolen from wifes work car park, it had a steering wheel stoplock fitted, they just cut the steering wheel with a junior hacksaw and slipped it off....

Mr Whippy - 23/12/14 at 06:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theprisioner
I have not seen any mechanical anti theft device that cannot be removed quickly with your average battery powered 4 -1/2" angle grinder and a 1mm cutting disc. I would on the other hand have great difficulty with an immobiliser esp if it was part of the ECU design (Like Ford PATS).

I think I'd have much more difficulty fitting an immobiliser especially an ECU one to a 1985 landrover....

If you really want to confound them with older cars then the old war time trick of simply taking the distributor rotor arm is a good one and even better these days of electronic ignition. On my cortina I use to remove the two jets on the side of the carb when leaving the car in town overnight

Even on modern cars most have a couple of fuses that will prevent the engine starting if removed and will just seem that an immobiliser is in use

[Edited on 23/12/14 by Mr Whippy]

on_eighty_runner - 23/12/14 at 06:45 PM

Not required. Have had a smart Roadster and my wife a ForTwo and I don't believe a steering lock fitted to either.
Is a facility to lock in reverse though.

Mr Whippy - 24/12/14 at 07:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by on_eighty_runner
Not required. Have had a smart Roadster and my wife a ForTwo and I don't believe a steering lock fitted to either.
Is a facility to lock in reverse though.

I suppose my SAAB did have a gearshift lock instead