Board logo

Sheet thickness for a alu dashboard
jps - 29/1/18 at 03:49 PM

I've searched old threads and seen a few mentioning using alu for the dashboard, which sounds good to me.

I have used 1mm NS4 for the interior panels and, although it's ok when bonded on all 4 edges against the transmission tunnel it just seems WAY too floppy to be suitable for the dashboard - given there is no direct support behind it...

So what thickness should I be using? 2mm?

I would use the same material for the front bulkhead too - I am not convinced I could hang things like a fuse box off a 1mm panel!

melly-g - 29/1/18 at 04:33 PM

I used 1.2mm on all my panels.

The dash had a radius bent onto the bottom which gave it plenty of strength.

MadMaxx - 29/1/18 at 05:02 PM

I'm using 1,5 mm on all the panels of my Fury and the same for dashboard, but I'm interested too in the experience of others.

Angel Acevedo - 29/1/18 at 06:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by melly-g
I used 1.2mm on all my panels.

The dash had a radius bent onto the bottom which gave it plenty of strength.

Extra resistance to oil canning is obtained by decorative/functional grooves in the panel.
See a Kirkey seat for appearance.
It is relatively easy to make a tool to do them.

jossey - 29/1/18 at 07:11 PM

Smoking Frog - 29/1/18 at 07:16 PM

I also used 1.2mm, covered with camping mat foam and vinyl. Bottom edges were bent over a bar to give the correct radius. Underside panel riveted to front keeps it sturdy.
Dash back
Dash back

Theshed - 30/1/18 at 08:57 AM

Floppy only if it is a flat sheet. That would be thick for a car or aircraft wing. If you cannot put in folds just rivet or bond L shaped ribs to the back side. Use car panel glue it will be fine for this. Instant stiffness, cheapness and lightness (bring out your inner Chapman). If you put a few holes in the ribs you can use then as attachment points for wiring or pipes.

MadMaxx - 30/1/18 at 09:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Theshed
Floppy only if it is a flat sheet. That would be thick for a car or aircraft wing. If you cannot put in folds just rivet or bond L shaped ribs to the back side. Use car panel glue it will be fine for this. Instant stiffness, cheapness and lightness (bring out your inner Chapman). If you put a few holes in the ribs you can use then as attachment points for wiring or pipes.

Which kind of glue should be used?

[Edited on 30/1/18 by MadMaxx]

Theshed - 30/1/18 at 10:21 AM

For simple stiffening Silkaflex/Tiger Seal would be fine as the dash is (not very) structural. If you want to go up market try this

https://www.refinishsystems.com/3m-panel-bonding-adhesive-08115?language=en&currency=GBP&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzMDTBRDDARIsABX4AWzAmIq4q9YofxB-eI25h_d 7np7PZs7B5zZnZt1SL_iba1xL377icqcaAoe_EALw_wcB

Or I use Araldite 420.

Neither or these is locust....Tiger seal sticks at a fraction of the price - degrease first