Board logo

Can't log into Facebook
907 - 23/7/19 at 09:04 AM

Somethings playing up, probably me, but when I Google Facebook or click on a link to Facebook the little blue line in the top bar
just goes a little way across then stops. ???

Any ideas anyone ?

Paul G

russbost - 23/7/19 at 09:12 AM

Clear cache, reboot router?

nick205 - 23/7/19 at 09:22 AM

No problems signing in here (at work, HP laptop, Windows 7 pro, Mozilla Firefox browser).

Might be worth deleting the history from whichever web browser you're using and trying again. Do you have another device you can try accessing Facebook from - phone, tablet etc?

907 - 23/7/19 at 01:23 PM

Firstly, sorry to have disappeared. A customer just called and made a claim to my time.
If only computers were as easy to fix as his boat exhaust.

Thanks for the replies Russ & Nick.

I had already deleted "history" to no avail. Just did a reboot on the router, again no luck.

Not sure how to do this "cache" thing. I'll have to research. I have a Mini Mac and think it runs Google (not chrome)

I have an iPhone 5 which will pick up Facebook from the Mac's router's wifi so that eliminates that I suppose.

I hadn't tried the phone before as I'm not into Facebook normally but the "Orange Army" of marshals at Snetterton seem to
use it so if I wish to contact them then thats my only option. Mmmm, move with the times I suspect.

Thanks for the help so far. Anyone got a 7 year old granddaughter they could lend me.

Paul G

russbost - 23/7/19 at 01:36 PM

cache is internet cache, on Chrome it comes under settings, advanced, privacy & security, privacy cleaner, probs similar under Google on the Mac. If you've cleared history you may have already cleared it.

Sounds as tho' FB is somehow blocked or you are locked out from it

Could you try another browser - Firefox perhaps, sorry, not familiar with Mac at all

907 - 23/7/19 at 05:21 PM

I can't see that "I" am locked out of it or I wouldn't be able to get it up on my iPhone.... would I ?

russbost - 24/7/19 at 07:15 AM

Sorry, explained that badly, that PC or IP address could be locked out, is the phone sharing the same IP when it accesses FB?

Most likely it's a browser issue - I've had Chrome refuse to load pages that Firefox goes to perfectly normally - for me, a cache clearing & rebooting the PC normally fixes that

907 - 24/7/19 at 07:28 AM

Hi Russ,

Yes my phone uses the wifi from the computers router.

I have watched a youtube vid and have followed it to the cache files. Just plucking up the nerve to carry on.

Will put up a screen grab. It will take a minute or so.

These are all the cache files. Next step would be to click on "action" then move to "trash"

[Edited on 24/7/19 by 907]

BLing - 24/7/19 at 09:59 AM

Hey Paul,

Another option if you are still having problems is download and install Google Chrome https://www.google.com/chrome/ and see if that works. That way you will know if it's an issue with Apple's Safari browser on your Mac or something else.

Brian

russbost - 24/7/19 at 12:12 PM

That screen grab looks nothing I'm used to seeing on the pc, I think you need to take advice from someone with a knowledge of Mac/Safari, I certainly wouldn't want to be the one that said delete that lot & it then causes problems!

907 - 24/7/19 at 04:59 PM

@ Brian & Russ

Mixed the advice from you both and contacted a chap that used to test stuff for microsoft.
My wife used to work for his parents when they lived in this village.

He said..... wait for it Brian.... "download Chrome".

I did this, and after much changing of logins & passwords I got Facebook back. Yayyyyyyyy

Now there's always a downside. I lost all my bookmarks so I'm getting them back one by one.

Thanks for all the help.
Paul G

russbost - 24/7/19 at 05:51 PM

Glad to hear you got it sorted!

JC - 24/7/19 at 06:14 PM

Go to the Safari menu
Click preferences
Click Show advanced
Tick Show developer menu
Close the preferences window
Select Clear cache from developer menu

gremlin1234 - 24/7/19 at 06:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 907
. I lost all my bookmarks so I'm getting them back one by one.

chrome on windows has an option:
go to settings, and select bookmarks, it then offers to import bookmarks from other browsers,

chrome on apple/ios will have similar