Board logo

Hard drive
cossiebri - 29/11/06 at 10:30 PM

Just bought a new external 160 gb hard drive, connected via usb2. how do i get the computer to use this as the main storage as my internal one is only 20 gb and almost full ? (is it this that is slowing down the comp ?)

RazMan - 29/11/06 at 10:39 PM

Use it as your main storage drive for the 'My Documents' folder, leaving your Windoze files on the original drive - although if it's only 20 Gb it would be better to ditch it and install the new drive in its place - it will be much quicker.

ecosse - 29/11/06 at 11:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
ditch it and install the new drive in its place - it will be much quicker.

Have to agree, if it will connect to your mobo stick it inside the case, much faster than USB.

Cheers

Alex

goodall - 29/11/06 at 11:17 PM

go into computer management if you're running windows xp pro or windows 2000 and go to local users and groups then to groups right click on your user name go to its properties and then click in the properties on the tab profile and change the home floder to the usb hdd, if u want my docs 2 be stored on it.

your computer is most likely slow because of spyware try lava soft spyware remover its free and recommended by the google and the times

ab54666 - 30/11/06 at 09:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by goodall

your computer is most likely slow because of spyware try lava soft spyware remover its free and recommended by the google and the times

For any PC you should have (IMHO) as a minimum:

Ad-aware SE (free)
Spybot Search & Destroy (Free)
AVG Anti Virus v 7.5 - (free)
Spywareblaster 3.1 (free)
CCleaner (free) - superb at clearing out the crap!

All above available at www.download.com

Ewido (free) although not sure thats still available.

Also to keep in tip top shape, Registry Mechanic ($30 for a 'legal copy' - when I first got my mesh PC I ran Registry Mechanic and it found 87 errors, on a brand new PC, ran it on a two year old one and over 300! - Speed after that was good.

Also Defrag the hard drive regulary.