Board logo

Noob Solidworks question
RazMan - 28/10/07 at 11:03 PM

I have got a .stl file of a 3d scan of some bodywork which I would like to tweak, making it suitable for a project I am designing.
I am using Solidworks 2007 and can import the file but I can't edit it. Is there an ungroup command which will let me fiddle around or do I need to convert it in some way?

nasty-bob - 28/10/07 at 11:18 PM

stl files are for stereolithography (rapid prototyping) and are tesselated. You may have trouble converting it and if you do, it may be poor quality. Try a dissassemble command (or whatever SW calls it) if it works it will extract all the surfaces.

If you like email it to me and I'll have a bash.

RazMan - 29/10/07 at 08:32 AM

Thanks for the info Bob

The only relevant command that I can find is 'features/split' but it is greyed out and I can't find any other way of disassembling the file.
As the file is over 45Mb I don't think emailing it is an option but thanks anyway

RazMan - 30/10/07 at 10:12 PM

Some progress - I used a prog called Rhinoceros (I kid you not) which allowed me to do a bit of cleaning up - mainly deleting random particles and artifacts.

I still can't edit the mesh though - is there a way to make a duplicate shape of the mesh and edit that?