Board logo

Back in hospital after a car crash
nick205 - 24/1/17 at 09:25 AM

Bugger

As mentioned 2 years ago I suffered a head injury, spent much time in hospital and now have epilepsy. Being epileptic I'm unable to drive on the road. A guy that works with my Dad has kindly been giving me a lift to work (Winchester to Basingstoke).

Last Wednesday John arrived in his van and we set off. John's been driving for a living for 30+ years and I have to say is pretty good at driving.

On the way travelling at 50mph we were hit by another vehicle, which caused us to flip onto the roof and slide along the road on the roof. All glass broken and lost, but both wearing seat belts John and I survived the incident. John's OK with cuts and bruises. Myself with broken ribs, cuts and bruises and two days back in hospital under "observation". Both back at home now recovering.

Fortunately the driver of the other vehicle (alone at the time) is OK too.

For me it's a big hats off to vehicle design and seat belts - things could have been an awful lot worse!

leon51274 - 24/1/17 at 09:33 AM

Bloody hell Nick, I think your due some good luck! Lets hope there's no knock on effect to your epilepsy.

bonzoronnie - 24/1/17 at 09:38 AM

That's a nasty looking incident

Wishing you a speedy recovery

Chris_Xtreme - 24/1/17 at 09:40 AM

gosh, glad you all are ok. ditto the you must be due some good luck!

nick205 - 24/1/17 at 09:49 AM

Thank you and agreed I must be due some good luck - might buy a lottery ticket for the weekend

loggyboy - 24/1/17 at 09:53 AM

Glad to hear you're OK mate - certainly a testament to modern car/van design.
Was that the A33?

sprintB+ - 24/1/17 at 09:58 AM

as said, glad you are all OK ish. Speedy recovery to you and your mate.

nick205 - 24/1/17 at 10:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Glad to hear you're OK mate - certainly a testament to modern car/van design.
Was that the A33?

Both correct - 08:30.

Have to add the police and ambulance crews were truly outstanding too. No fuss, they just did what they had to and got us away to hospital.

slingshot2000 - 24/1/17 at 10:05 AM

Blinking heck!
Glad to hear that you are both ok after that!

I know you post on here quite regularly and thought I hadn't seen you for a couple of days.

The Police and NHS get loads of stick in the UK, but I doubt any other country has a better response to 999 emergency calls.

Best wishes for your recovery!

Jon

(Edit; Cannot spell on pc)

[Edited on 24/1/17 by slingshot2000]

Mash - 24/1/17 at 10:19 AM

Crikey Nick, can't believe your bad luck

You definitely are due some good luck! Glad you're all OK though

Hopefully things will start to get better for you

Vehicle safety has definitely improved dramatically in the last 20 years. I am a retained fire fighter, and we deal with a lot of RTC incidents from our station. We are now getting people out of cars with really minor injuries, whereas the same crashes even 15 years ago would have resulted in life changing, or worse, injuries.

We also get called to half the incidents these days, because we only get called if people are trapped, or the vehicles catch fire.

wylliezx9r - 24/1/17 at 10:25 AM

Blimey, glad you escaped with pretty minor injuries and hope you recover quickly.

nick205 - 24/1/17 at 10:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by slingshot2000
Blinking heck!
Glad to hear that you are both ok after that!

I know you post on here quite regularly and thought I hadn't seen you for a couple of days.

The Police and NHS get loads of stick in the UK, but I doubt any other country has a better response to 999 emergency calls.

Best wishes for your recovery!

Jon

(Edit; Cannot spell on pc)

[Edited on 24/1/17 by slingshot2000]

Amen to that - the UK emergency services are very very good indeed. Personally I owe them quite a lot.

As you say they're often given a hard time, but rarely thanked!

Dangle_kt - 24/1/17 at 11:40 AM

Glad you are safe and on the mend. Agree about the NHS etc - we are very fortunate at those times when we need them

slingshot2000 - 24/1/17 at 11:42 AM

Yes, I owe them for a ride in an ambulance with blues n twos after a heart attack. Had me in the theatre in less than 40minutes.

Good to see you well enough to be back posting.

nick205 - 24/1/17 at 11:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by slingshot2000
Good to see you well enough to be back posting.

Off work for the week and being a bit of a do-er the boredom has set in already!

Work have been excellent and told me to stay away, but being occupied all day does have it's benefits.

Daf - 24/1/17 at 01:31 PM

Crikey that's a mess, when you think how fragile the human body actually is - it really is a testament to vehicle design that you can get out of a 50mph incident with fairly minor injuries (relatively speaking).

Wish you a speedy recovery both with recovering from this and the return to driving.

jps - 24/1/17 at 03:43 PM

Good to hear you're both OK - sounds like a good outcome given the circumstances!

Jeano - 24/1/17 at 04:12 PM

Good to hear your both ok. I think the quality of cars these days is just brilliant. Hope your not in to much pain with the broken ribs.

David Jenkins - 24/1/17 at 04:47 PM

Glad you survived that with minimal injury. At least broken ribs heal quickly, even though they do hurt badly for a while!

sdh2903 - 24/1/17 at 06:37 PM

Bloody hell! As above glad to hear no one seriously hurt.

That vans clever it's kept its number plate the right way up! Sorry couldn't resist

Adamirish - 24/1/17 at 08:10 PM

Jesus Christ nick, you have no luck at all! I'm glad to hear you are OKish. Could have been much MUCH worse.

Do you know what actually happened or was it all I bit of a blur?

I hope you have a speedy recovery mate.

luke2152 - 24/1/17 at 08:25 PM

quote:

Thats cos no other country dials 999

SteveWalker - 24/1/17 at 11:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by luke2152
quote:

Thats cos no other country dials 999

Ireland does!

02GF74 - 25/1/17 at 04:16 PM

Get well soon.

ian locostzx9rc2 - 25/1/17 at 04:52 PM

Get well soon looking at the state of the van you where both pretty lucky