Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Installing Windows 7 (Advice Please)
John P

posted on 2/4/16 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Installing Windows 7 (Advice Please)

I have now bought a Windows 7 key from e-bay (the seller was quick to answer my original questions which gave me some confidence) and using his instructions have downloaded the windows file to a USB Flash Drive and made it bootable.

Before starting the install however I am a little concerned about drivers. The PC uses a USB wireless adaptor which will presumably not work once the install has started so when it comes to entering the key will the fact that I'm not on-line cause a problem? Would I have to do this by phone and if so what does that involve?

Also will the DVD drive work because the drivers for the wireless adaptor are currently on a DVD?

I do have a laptop so could presumably download drivers via that if necessary.

Any advice,

John.

Slimy38

posted on 2/4/16 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
You'd be suprised, Windows 7 contains a huge number of drivers so you might get online straightaway. However, the key will work without being online, and you have either 30 or 120 days (can't remember which) to get online and verify the key.

The DVD drivers will definitely work 'out of the box'.

SteveWalker

posted on 2/4/16 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Just a quick note. If you are intending using your W7 for a free upgrade to W10, your DVD (and USB) drives can stop working. There is a simple way to fix it if necessary. ISTR that it's just a registry tweak that you can find online, but I can't remember what, as of four machines that I upgraded, only one had this problem (odd as it is identical to one of the others!) As it was my son's PC, I let him sort it.
mcerd1

posted on 2/4/16 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Most drivers should be ok out of the box, but if you really want to be sure you can always download them in advance from the manufacturers and keep them handy on a flash drive...

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.