Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: win 10 activation - again
02GF74

posted on 29/6/16 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
win 10 activation - again

possibly a dumb question but I know there are members on here who work with setting up computers so will be more familiar with the process than me.

I installed win 10 64 bit from ISO downloaded from microsoft website and bought a cheap activation key off ebay. I didn't expect it to work but is seems to have, screen shot from two computers, the first of which has been activated with the key and the second hasn't.

So the activated win 10 - does that looks all good? , I mean that's it as far as that pc is concerned and I need not worry about it being deactivated in the future?

Incidentally where/how are the computer names generated?

desktop activated

laptop not activated

BenTyreman

posted on 29/6/16 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
You can't tell if Microsoft will revoke the key in the future. The key can only be used once so you need a second key for the laptop. Also the laptop looks like it hasn't been connected to the internet yet but when it does it will probably complain that the key has already been used.
02GF74

posted on 30/6/16 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Laptop needs key and has been on Internet

Re ms revoking keys
Have you known that to happen?

Slimy38

posted on 30/6/16 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Laptop needs key and has been on Internet

Re ms revoking keys
Have you known that to happen?

The only ones I've heard about are some of the volume licence keys from XP and 7. But I have a feeling they've completely done away with the concept of volume licence keys now (probably because they were so open to piracy), so that wouldn't apply to 10.

You can update your computer name fairly easily, from memory the assigned name is just done at setup to 'fill in the blank'. The windows 7 setup asked you for your computer name as part of the setup, 10 doesn't. It's not associated with the key.

[Edited on 30/6/16 by Slimy38]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.