Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: on a go slow
theconrodkid

posted on 24/4/04 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
on a go slow

yo peeps,this compo i,m using here is sooooooooooooooooo slow,done a virus scan and gave it an enema,it wont de-frag,tried threatening it as well,any ideas?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

I love speed :-P

posted on 24/4/04 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
a hammer?

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pbura

posted on 24/4/04 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
A few suggestions:

1. Run Hijackthis.exe (you can get it at http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/. If you want, you can 'save log' and post the results here. This is good for finding browser hijackers and crap programs in your startup routine.

2. You can also run PrcView (http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,6102,00.asp), which shows everything running on your computer. Might shed some light on trojan-type programs that are not exactly viruses, and you can use this to kill running processes so that you can delete them with the Highjackthis program. You can use 'Save As' to save results as a text file if you want to share.

3. I've found that it's mostly shyteware that bogs computers these days, but you might try looking at free space on your hard drive. Also run Scandisk and Defrag. If defrag is giving you grief, try running it in safe mode.

BoL,

Pete

Pete

Steve&Steve

posted on 24/4/04 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
What version of windows you running? and whats you computer spec?

That asside, go to RUN (on the start menu) and type 'msconfig' this will bring up System Config Utility.
Dont mess about here but go to the Startup tab at the top. You cant mess anythin up here really, you can always change it back in the same way.
There will probably be a lot of crap in this list (these are all programs that are starting up running in the back ground everytime you turn the pc on)

Untick everything EXCEPT - systray & explorer (if they are there)

You may also want to leave Msnmsgr ticked if you use MSN messenger

Now look at the command column and make it bigger so you can see all of the line, Look at each one and re tick anything to do with you antivirus software ie Symantec, Norton, McAfee, AVG ect. as you do want this running!

This should help speed it up a bit

Also remove any programs you dont need using add/remove programs

Run Scandisk as pbura said, check the automatically fix errors box (a standard scan should work), this should then allow Defragmentor to work.

Download Ad-aware 6 http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
its free, and run this it will clear 'bad' programs from your pc to put it simply.

Hope this helps.

theconrodkid

posted on 24/4/04 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
cheers chaps,ill do it tomorrow,allready used lavasoft,there were over 400 bugs there as for the compo spec,havnt got a clue,its all in polish

[Edited on 24/4/04 by theconrodkid]

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Peteff

posted on 24/4/04 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
it wont de-frag,tried threatening

Press F8 on startup and choose safe mode, then disable the screensaver and defrag it. If things start up while it's running it starts from scratch. Try spybot as well as adaware.

[Edited on 24/4/04 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 25/4/04 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve&Steve

There will probably be a lot of crap in this list (these are all programs that are starting up running in the back ground everytime you turn the pc on)

Untick everything EXCEPT - systray & explorer (if they are there)

good stuff, but when i did that there are 12 programs starting, none of which i recognise. no systray or explorer either. should i turn it all off?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Peteff

posted on 25/4/04 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
. should i turn it all off?

If you do it in safe mode you don't need to mess with msconfig

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

theconrodkid

posted on 25/4/04 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
tried to download a virus prog,it came up as not enough spare disc space,pie charts shows 20g of spare space?big hammer or out the window?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mk-Ninja

posted on 25/4/04 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
try winding the handle on the side of the box a bit fsater

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

theconrodkid

posted on 25/4/04 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
might jus buy another one,tower system with moniter for 999zl,thats about 150 squid to you n me

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

I love speed :-P

posted on 25/4/04 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
tried to download a virus prog,it came up as not enough spare disc space,pie charts shows 20g of spare space?big hammer or out the window?

[chant]

hammer, hammer, hammer

[/chant]

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.