Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Would You Buy an Automatic Se7en?
scootz

posted on 8/7/11 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Would You Buy an Automatic Se7en?

As you've gathered, I bought a Formula 27 to run for the summer. It's an auto and I got it nice and cheap... probably because it is an auto!

I reckon it would cost under £500 to whack an LT77 manual box in it. Is this money I'm likely to see back, or do I just keep it 'as is' and sell it for much bargainarooney money with the auto still attached?

Gentlepeople, the floor is yours...

[Edited on 8/7/11 by scootz]

It's Evolution Baby!

JoelP

posted on 8/7/11 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
i wouldnt want an auto myself. I had an auto omega and it was a nightmare, it would change gear in the middle of a corner.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Surrey Dave

posted on 8/7/11 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote

Would probably sell easier and for more with a manual box, although the auto box could be good with a V8 !
scootz

posted on 8/7/11 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
i wouldnt want an auto myself. I had an auto omega and it was a nightmare, it would change gear in the middle of a corner.

That's a possible concern... torquey-engine + lightweight-car + kickdown mid-corner could = brown pants!

It's Evolution Baby!

froggy

posted on 8/7/11 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
No idea what an f27 with an auto v8 on carb is worth so my 2p is sort the running issues and bang it on the bay . Might have better gearing if the diff ratio is more suited to an auto box .

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

Wadders

posted on 8/7/11 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Formula 27's never seem to fetch much, i don't think it would ever have made anywhere near the original asking price auto or manual, personally i would just offload it as is, let someone get a bargain and get your money back.......shame really i reckon they are quite underrated, and the one you have should be an awful lot of fun once running properly.....might not be funny in the bends but what about the straight line potential

Al

JoelP

posted on 8/7/11 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
It just ruins the fun! You want to be able to hold slides, and an auto box doesnt help. To get my jeep sideways you pull out hard and then balance the throttle to keep it steady. With an auto, it would change gear when you backed off the throttle.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Ninehigh

posted on 8/7/11 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't disregard one just because it had an auto box, however I would have to try it out (never used one) before I made a proper decision

indykid

posted on 8/7/11 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hang on, if you put a manual box in it, you possibly stand to make a profit when you sell it.

Are you sure you're comfortable with that? There's a first time for everything I suppose

If you put a manual box in it though, you're unlikely to see much of the summer once you've done sorting out niggles and stumbling blocks. Probably best to just drive it.

mookaloid

posted on 9/7/11 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
I love automatics - but I would only buy an auto seven if I was going to immediately change it to a manual.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Simon

posted on 9/7/11 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
It just ruins the fun! You want to be able to hold slides, and an auto box doesnt help. To get my jeep sideways you pull out hard and then balance the throttle to keep it steady. With an auto, it would change gear when you backed off the throttle.

Bo and Luke always managed to drift nicely in an auto

So did I in my 2 litre Capri for that matter (in the snow)

Toy car was almost an auto, in fact I'm sure if you searched, you could prob find the post!

ATB

Simon

big_wasa

posted on 9/7/11 at 05:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
Hang on, if you put a manual box in it, you possibly stand to make a profit when you sell it.

Are you sure you're comfortable with that? There's a first time for everything I suppose

If you put a manual box in it though, you're unlikely to see much of the summer once you've done sorting out niggles and stumbling blocks. Probably best to just drive it.

You are assuming the job will get finished and not sold as a project What did happen to the quantum Scott ?

franky

posted on 9/7/11 at 06:04 AM Reply With Quote
Some people might like the fact its an auto. If you're not keeping it just put it on ebay and i'm sure you'll get your cash back. An auto might really suit a RV8.
snapper

posted on 9/7/11 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
B&M shifter as used by American drag racers would give you near manual shift control.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

mark chandler

posted on 9/7/11 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
You noted before its a BW65 box, the BW66 was fitted to jags BTW.

You can modify these to take away most of the automatic function so you end up with three gears and torque convertor, I believe this just involves playing around with the valve actuator within the box.

When I raced a landrover years ago now, this was a popular box to use as you do not lose traction dipping the clutch when climbing hills and stirring mud.

Try giving Malcolm linky a call, he used to run a few cars with these so may be provide advise on how to do this.

For myself, as long as the engine has plenty of power why not, to change the box also involves adding an extra pedal so you may have to reposition the brakes etc so are in danger of losing the car for the summer.

Regards Mark

nb/ look at the price of his roll cages, kit car manufactures are taking the pee when you look at his prices !

[Edited on 9/7/11 by mark chandler]

zilspeed

posted on 9/7/11 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
Definitely leave as is.

There's loads of manual cars out there.
A lot of them not selling.

To the few who are actively searching for an auto car, yours is the one.
Leave it as it is, enjoy it for a bit, then flog it.

britishtrident

posted on 9/7/11 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Autobox and big lazy engine is fine. The BW 65 was an impored type 35, a 3 speed with stronger brake bands and clutches to cope with larger engines.
The type 35 was intended for engines up to 2 litres but was just tough enough to just cope with 3.5 litre Rovers and 4.2 litre Jags.

These BW boxes were tough and simple much better than the later electronic controlled boxes.

Two types of fluid can be used in these BW boxes: high friction and low friction, the low friction additive type gives very smooth gear changes, the high friction type gives a much more noticeable unpleasant jerk when kicking down

britishtrident

posted on 9/7/11 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Just to clear up any confusion the Type 65 was fitted to both Rovers and Jags, the type 66 a later improved version.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

kipper

posted on 9/7/11 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
mobility seven

just advertise it as a mobility seven, I am sure there are a lot of people who would like to have a toy car but have some disability, could make some-one very happy
Denis

Where did that go?
<<<<

zilspeed

posted on 9/7/11 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kipper
just advertise it as a mobility seven, I am sure there are a lot of people who would like to have a toy car but have some disability, could make some-one very happy
Denis

My thoughts exactly.

That's a dream car for someone.
==== Exactly as it is ====

Change nothing.

NigeEss

posted on 9/7/11 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kipper
Denis

+2

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

scootz

posted on 9/7/11 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys. As always - you're right... all of you!

(PS - it does have a B&M pro-ratchet shifter).

It's Evolution Baby!

Strontium Dog

posted on 9/7/11 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

That's a possible concern... torquey-engine + lightweight-car + kickdown mid-corner could = brown pants!

Not just light cars. I spat a 3.0L Granada off the road when it changed gear mid slide around a bend on Dartmoor. The car rolled end over end and threw me out the drivers door when it was ripped open! This was many years ago and before seat belts where compulsory!

I have hated auto's ever since, even though I've driven modern stuff I still want to know when it's gonna change gear and not be dictated to by the ecu or worse, mechanical auto shift!

I'd say you'd need to be a brave man to give an automatic 7 any wellie! Brave or something else anyway!

Whether it's worth changing out is a matter of cost effectiveness though if you don't intend to keep it. What can you get for it as is, it's a bit of work yo convert it all after all!

[Edited on 9/7/11 by Strontium Dog]

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x319/zephyr2000/General%20forum%20uploads/?action=view¤t=3DEngine.mp4

02GF74

posted on 9/7/11 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be surprised if you could swap in a manual geabox without an mods - mounts and prop would probably have to be changed.

Advertise it and see how it goes. Highlight the Auto part as a rarity and make it a selling point; car suitable for less able bodied drivers.

.... and to answer your question, I would not buy any automatic car.

[Edited on 9/7/11 by 02GF74]

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 9/7/11 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

It used to be pretty simple on Range Rover V8's to modify the shifter so it only changed when you moved the shifter into D1, D2, D3, D4 and stayed in that gear, we used to used it for Trial/Off Road vehicles. Sort of like a Semi-Auto sequential.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.