Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Junk Mail
carlgeldard

posted on 6/9/04 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Junk Mail

Hi All

Can you advise me? I have a colleague who has been off work as his wife has just had a baby, and I have been looking after his email account looking for orders etc. I was surprised at how many Carp emails that he gets 1300 in two weeks. Is there anything I can do to minimize this or any kind of filter’s we can install? Or is it a case of changing his email address.

Thanks for any Guidance

Carl

stephen_gusterson

posted on 6/9/04 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
dont you just hate carp mails.

I prefer a nice bit o cod meself

atb

steve

Chris_R

posted on 6/9/04 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
It depends on your email client, but most will allow you to block an email address (e.g. john.smith@domain.name.com) or all emails from an particular domain (e.g. anything that is sent from domain.name.com in this instance). Keep two email addresses and only give one to friends, family, colleagues etc: a trusted list. Use the other for your online affairs: mailing lists, registration forms etc. Don't put your email address on a web page as text, use an inline image as is done on locost builders (the email button that appears below most posts) and never try to unsubscribe from a dubious list, if you do they'll just take it as confirmation that someone is actually receiving the mails that they send. Don't get me wrong, if the mail's coming from a reputable company, e.g. Natwest, then by all means unsubscribe, otherwise prolly best to leave it.

Personally I have 3 mail addresses and only one of them is publicised. Thankfully, I don't receive any junk, or haven't yet. It's just down to being careful I think.

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 6/9/04 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
I use SpamNet by Cloudmark - excellent piece of software, plugins in to Outlook, and Outlook Express, and deals with over 99% of all my Spam, I get around 100 a day.

Totally worth the charge after the trial period is up.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.