Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Not so secure PayPal
Wheels244

posted on 4/9/12 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Not so secure PayPal

Ive had a Chinese t**t rob my PayPal account 5 times.

I've not given any of my details out or answered any scam emails etc

The only interaction I've had with China is buying the endoscope off eBay that a few others on here have also - I can only assume it has something to do with that.

No idea how they've accessed my account though.

I've submitted disputes and removed all of my card details until it is resolved.

If I don't get the money back - I will close the account immediately.

Really disappointed - I thought PayPal was secure.

wylliezx9r

posted on 4/9/12 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Same happened to me but they only took money on the one occasion. Fair play to PayPal I had the money back the next day or so, after changing my password etc.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

loggyboy

posted on 4/9/12 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Unlikey to be anything to do with a purchase.
More likely to be spyware if your sure no phishing scams have caught you out.
Make sure you change all your passwords for email acounts, ebay etc.

Mistral Motorsport

Wheels244

posted on 4/9/12 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
Same happened to me but they only took money on the one occasion. Fair play to PayPal I had the money back the next day or so, after changing my password etc.

Ah, that sounds promising.

To be fair it was PayPal that spotted it - limited any activity on my account until I changed all the security access.

Did they give an explanation as to how the thieving pillocks accessed your account ?

Wheels244

posted on 4/9/12 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Unlikey to be anything to do with a purchase.
More likely to be spyware if your sure no phishing scams have caught you out.
Make sure you change all your passwords for email acounts, ebay etc.

Good idea - ill do that now.

I do have anti phishing/virus software but I suppose nothing is infallible.

wylliezx9r

posted on 4/9/12 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wheels244
quote:

To be fair it was PayPal that spotted it - limited any activity on my account until I changed all the security access.

Did they give an explanation as to how the thieving pillocks accessed your account ?

No explanation but the payment went out to some Australian eBay account fee or something. You'll get your money back I wouldn't worry. Is it an huge amount ?

Atb

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

Wheels244

posted on 4/9/12 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

No explanation but the payment went out to some Australian eBay account fee or something. You'll get your money back I wouldn't worry. Is it an huge amount ?

Atb

Thankfully not large amounts - I get the feeling they were building up to the big one as the amounts started to increase.

1x10 USD
1x10 USD
1x12 USD
1x16 USD
1x22 USD

Ninehigh

posted on 4/9/12 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I had one round of $975 taken out, it would appear that's how much a World Of Warcraft character goes for on ebay!

mcerd1

posted on 4/9/12 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thankfully not large amounts - I get the feeling they were building up to the big one as the amounts started to increase.

1x10 USD
1x10 USD
1x12 USD
1x16 USD
1x22 USD

that would fit, I had similar taken off a debit card (recon they'd skimmed the details of the front of th card somehow - I blame a certian doggy petrol station that I'd not used before )

they started with 2 or 3 things around £5 to £20
then came the new xbox, tv....... all in it came to £5500 and some change all in one night
the bank (RBS) spotted it and called me first thing in the morning when the nights transactions were clearing, all sortted in a few days and they gave me cash to 'get me by'

the thing I don't get is who's stupid enough to pay a brittish gas repair bill ? obviously its not going to take long to find out who's house it is.....

-

MikeRJ

posted on 4/9/12 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
the thing I don't get is who's stupid enough to pay a brittish gas repair bill ? obviously its not going to take long to find out who's house it is.....

Most criminals are quite stupid.

I went for the PayPal security card which gives an extra level of security (you need to enter your password and the pseudo-randomly generated number from the card to access PayPal).

[Edited on 4/9/12 by MikeRJ]

Dick Axtell

posted on 5/9/12 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
that would fit, I had similar taken off a debit card (recon they'd skimmed the details of the front of th card somehow - I blame a certian doggy petrol station that I'd not used before

Had similar experience 2 years ago, with certain filling station in Walthamstow area. Mine was with credit card, which I always use, in preference to any debit card. C/card company gives more protection for credit cards, than for debit type. Same approach for online transactions. Don't trust any of the b*****s!

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

MikeRJ

posted on 5/9/12 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Axtell
quote:
that would fit, I had similar taken off a debit card (recon they'd skimmed the details of the front of th card somehow - I blame a certian doggy petrol station that I'd not used before

Had similar experience 2 years ago, with certain filling station in Walthamstow area. Mine was with credit card, which I always use, in preference to any debit card. C/card company gives more protection for credit cards, than for debit type. Same approach for online transactions. Don't trust any of the b*****s!

Visa debit cards provide protection against fraudulent use, and they also provide protection against missing/damaged goods.

cd.thomson

posted on 5/9/12 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
hi mate,

This site will look up your email address to see if it has been compromised in any of the anon/lulzsec hacks.

Use keepass or lastpass with a strong master password to generate long mixed character passwords unique for every site you use.

enable two factor (sms based) authentication on paypal (in security settings) and these accounts

This article gives a very helpful checklist for ensuring online security

[Edited on 5/9/12 by cd.thomson]

Craig

mcerd1

posted on 5/9/12 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Axtell
quote:

Visa debit cards provide protection against fraudulent use, and they also provide protection against missing/damaged goods.

mine was a switch card - but I ws still covered up to a point via the bank

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.