Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Manning Logistic Software recommendation
Mr Whippy

posted on 29/10/14 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Manning Logistic Software recommendation

Hi

Bit out there but anyway…

One of my assignments currently it to investigate and come up with a logistics system for the manning and material requirement for offshore engineering workscopes. No easy task really further complicated by the company being stung in the past by poor software choices (not mine!). Due to this I’m being forced down the MS office route of software but can’t help thinking this is a very old problem and there obviously must be bespoke software out there to do this. I’ll have a hell of a battle to pull them away from excel solving the worlds problems but could anyone recommend a good reasonably priced application I could “accidently” start looking at that might fit the bill.

Yeah this isn’t remotely car related but I’m at over 12k posts give me a break…

Thanks

[Edited on 29/10/14 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 29/10/14 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Excel is rubbish when you need to share and update data and information stored in it..

MS Access would be a better choice, or MySQL would be better still, if you're going down the in house develop route.

If you want an off the peg solution, maybe something in IBMs Cognos..

One of my teccies recently took VR, and this is the sort of thing he could come up with using freeware, he'd probably do it on a short term contract basis, u2u me if you want putting in touch...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 29/10/14 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

Yeah our current system is excel based and is groaning under the strain, plus there are about 7 people sharing the same spreadsheet it so obviously it’s not the right way to go. I'll have a look at MySQL cheers

Unfortunately it’s been a long time since I played with Access but have it on all machines so I need to quickly get up to speed. Also there’s a lot of politics and folk with friends in high places etc I need to negotiate my way around which I can be arsed with tbh.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.