Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Windows 10 question
steve m

posted on 7/1/16 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Windows 10 question

I keep getting a windows 10 pop up to sign up to win 10 and free,
my suspicious mind, says nothing is free, so were's the catch ?
also, currently running XP, and I like the format, and do not want to have to relearn the wheel

so should I upgrade or not

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

tegwin

posted on 7/1/16 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Im with win7 and have actually fiddled with the registry so it stops asking me to upgrade to win10.... nothing in life is free... I wonder at what point MS start charing for the use of Win10 or charging to use applications etc. The article today about win10 data gathering is also a bit worrying...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

David Jenkins

posted on 7/1/16 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
I upgraded my Vista machine to Win 10 when invited - a fairly painless process.

Win 10 is good - but if they ever start playing silly b*ggers then it will be replaced by Linux Mint (which I use most of the time, except for those times when only Windoze will do). I won't be too upset if that happens...

watsonpj

posted on 7/1/16 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
the update from XP to windows 10 is NOT free as I tried to do it at the weekend. Its only free on 7 and 8, there are some misleading popups online that suggest it is free from xp and also it was free ,from XP, about a year ago if you took the alpha/beta builds for eval.
If the popup is on your computer the you may want to run malware or similar.

The windows 10 from 7 change isn't too bad so I don't think moving from xp to 10 will be too terrible but if your happy why pay.

Although I hear that anyone that can get in the shop here gets a free upgrade to windows 10

David Jenkins

posted on 7/1/16 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by watsonpj
Although I hear that anyone that can get in the shop here gets a free upgrade to windows 10

That's just cruel...

ianhurley20

posted on 7/1/16 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
I've now upgraded a few machines to Win 10. One was from win 8.1 and win 10 is brilliant in comparison, the others were all from win 7. I was very wary before the first but it was a michine which was so slow it was going in the skip when I did it. It was transformed into a much better machine indeed and started me doing the others. At the end win 10 is better by far than its predecessor. It, like Vista , tries to take control and will show ANY image on its screen slide show. If you have anything ..ahem.. private, it WILL find and show it. There are a few other niggles but I am reasonably happy with all the upgrades I have done so far (3 laptops and 3 desktop computers) and have been able to make it do what I want to much more than when Vista arrived.

Would I do another? Yes, mostly its better and the control/automation it brings can be bypassed without too much trouble but don't set up a screensaver using photos if you have anything - er - hidden ;-)

britishtrident

posted on 7/1/16 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I really can't see any difference between 8.1 and 10 apart from Win 10 seems less prone to losing user profiles. Both only become user friendly when Classic Shell is installed

When installing Win10 MS try to push you into creating a Microsoft User Log-in Account my advice is don't all the PC's I have encountered that have suffered user profile going AWOL at startup have been running Microsoft Accounts rather than local account log-in.

The upgrade can be painful even on very recent machines that came with 8.1. In one case switching a week old HP laptop to Win 10 using a link provided by HP involved a lot of searching for updated drivers and even after that the Bluetooth connectivity is troublesome.

Switch from very stable Win 7 to 10 is a move I would advise against. As to switching Xp machine, any Xp machine must be getting on a bit and running Win10 will be a big ask for older machinery.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

steve m

posted on 7/1/16 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you for the detailed replies,

My Machine is not too old, but i did use the old hard drive with XP and all my files etc, from the old machine
hence being on XP

I may install Win 10, and classic veiw would be preferred (how do i get that ?)
and if not happy with the setup, revert back to my old tried and tested system

regards

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

David Jenkins

posted on 7/1/16 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I may install Win 10, and classic veiw would be preferred (how do i get that ?)
and if not happy with the setup, revert back to my old tried and tested system

Search for a program called "Classic Shell" - only download it from the developer's site though!

Classic Shell

steve m

posted on 7/1/16 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Dave

steve

benchmark51

posted on 7/1/16 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I used the free upgrade from 7 to 10. Quite straightforward process except my machine slowed up quite a lot. I used the time limited option to revert back to 7 and everything is ok again. I do think that it was more the fault of my oldish computer than that of W10. Asking around and everyone agreed with that. So make sure your computer is capable of exceeding the minimum specs by a good margin or you may be disappointed with W10. Eventually all windows users will be on W10 as this is supposed to be the last windows, anything following will be upgrades to W10. I think the idea is to have 1 o/s for all platforms, phones, laptops, tablets ect.
tweek

posted on 7/1/16 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
First thing to say here is for the love of jeebus, do a full backup first before you do any major OS alterations like this.

The upgrade process is not problem free by a long way so what I would suggest would be to use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool available here to create a usb stick with the installation files.

Then perform the upgrade and make sure it's activated - this is crucial, the free upgrade thing relies on the Microsoft servers using your hardware configuration like a fingerprint. Then do a full clean install from the usb stick.

Not only is it a good idea to do an OS reinstall now and again on consumer machines, it'll usually give a good speed boost and eliminate the upgrade issues - for instance, the first time I upgraded I had BSOD's every time I logged in, it was some fun trying to figure that out, I can tell you!

In terms of the tracking stuff, I don't think Microsoft would go too crazy with it - there are too many hyper intelligent hackers out there who would figure it out and then they'd be screwed a-la VW. They really need windows 10 to act as a trojan horse to drive the sales of their other products like office 365 subscriptions, hence the freebie - they can't sell you as much new stuff if you're still on win7/8/8.1. Eventually, windows will be subscription based too I'd say.

John

[Edited on 7/1/16 by tweek]

[Edited on 7/1/16 by tweek]

"oh dear..." said god,
"I hadn't thought of that"
and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.