Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wifi extender
steve m

posted on 21/3/16 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Wifi extender

Hi

we have a problem with the lounge TV not picking up the wifi very well, and have been told that plug in the wall wifi extender
is a good way to go, but as I am clueless, what would be a good set up ?

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Dick Axtell

posted on 21/3/16 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
These can work well, but the source connector and the corresponding connector for the TV must be on the same ring main.

[Edited on 21/3/16 by Dick Axtell]

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

obfripper

posted on 21/3/16 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have these powerline adapters around the house, the ones on the ring main give about 200mbps, the security camera ones outside that are off the ringmain are at about 60mbps.
Just attach one to the router and one to the tv ethernet port, it will also free up bandwidth for your other wifi devices.
They will not work when attached to a surge protected extension lead, and do work better directly connected to the wall socket.

The plug in wifi repeater can be ok, but some devices will play up unless you have different SSID's for the repeater and router, also it will reduce the available bandwidth of the wifi coming from your router.

Dave

JMW

posted on 21/3/16 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Axtell
These can work well, but the source connector and the corresponding connector for the TV must be on the same ring main.

I don't think it's necessarily true that they need to be on the same ring main, in my house I have a few because of coverage problems and they are not all on the same ring. One is actually in the garage so through a separate consumer unit entirely.

gremlin1234

posted on 21/3/16 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JMW
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Axtell

I don't think it's necessarily true that they need to be on the same ring main, in my house I have a few because of coverage problems and they are not all on the same ring. One is actually in the garage so through a separate consumer unit entirely.
general recommendation on powerline units is they work back to the meter, though they have been seen to work beyond that in certain circumstances, however, they MUST be on the same phase.
wifi repeaters will lower the bandwidth available, but sometimes its worth it too.
ps. always best to run ethernet cabinet if possible.

v8kid

posted on 21/3/16 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Staples sold us a wifi extender for £17.99 that relays the signal without using the ring main. It's idiot proof cos I set it up

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 21/3/16 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
appreciate the replies

an ethernet cable, would be 20metres long, would that be better than wifi ?

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

gremlin1234

posted on 21/3/16 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
appreciate the replies

an ethernet cable, would be 20metres long, would that be better than wifi ?
yep, ethernet cables run at full speed up to <max> 100 metres
ie
max length of ethernet cable (cat5) is 100 metres, they will work at full speed, longer than that and they fail.

[Edited on 21/3/16 by gremlin1234]

mcerd1

posted on 22/3/16 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Cables are easy, fast and reliable - only problem is finding a neat way to route them

I found it pretty easy to install neatly using sockets on the wall when I had access under the floors (and I'm useless with electrical stuff and colour blind too...) although I spent ~£30 on the tool and a tester and £70 for the sockets and far more cable than I needed

Only thing is I wish I'd put more cables in at the time !

[Edited on 22/3/2016 by mcerd1]

-

MikeRJ

posted on 22/3/16 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
Staples sold us a wifi extender for £17.99 that relays the signal without using the ring main. It's idiot proof cos I set it up

These can work ok, but as others have said it reduces the available bandwidth and increases latency, and some devices don't play well with them.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.