Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ST170 exhaust manifold on a Blacktop
Rena

posted on 22/3/16 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
ST170 exhaust manifold on a Blacktop

Hi,

On my blacktop I have an exhaust manifold and silencer the previous owner built. I donīt really think he did a good job cause the pipes diameter are very thick and the silencer is 3", too much sound from it.
So, I need a new exhaust manifold which works better om my Blacktop. I donīt want to put too much money in this, so I have read itīs possible to use the exhaust manifold from a ST170 with some modifications.

My engines as standard, running R1 carbs and standard cams, but I will change cams next year. I will use the car on the road, not on a track.

Will the St170 and 2-2,5" silencer be good for my setup?

Thanks!

big_wasa

posted on 22/3/16 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
They are a 4-2-1 design so are tuned more for torque than top end. I havnt checked but I think they are equal length runners as well. My opinion is once modified they are as good as anything else a bloke in a shed can make and chirpy chirpy cheap cheap.

Got one sat here if your local for Ģ30. That's not much more than a laser cut flange.

Rena

posted on 23/3/16 at 04:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
They are a 4-2-1 design so are tuned more for torque than top end. I havnt checked but I think they are equal length runners as well. My opinion is once modified they are as good as anything else a bloke in a shed can make and chirpy chirpy cheap cheap.

Got one sat here if your local for Ģ30. That's not much more than a laser cut flange.

Sounds like it would be good for road use. I will give it a try and see if it fits in my car.

I live in Sweden

Rena

posted on 29/3/16 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Got it today but didn't fit as my engine mounts are just behind the manifold.
Could you maybe show a picture how you did with engine mounts in a seven with the st170 manifold?

Thanks!

Rena

posted on 29/3/16 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Got it today but didn't fit as my engine mounts are just behind the manifold.
Could you maybe show a picture how you did with engine mounts in a seven with the st170 manifold?

Thanks!

big_wasa

posted on 3/4/16 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
I can't find any pictures of mine.

But some one else's. You get the idea.

Rena

posted on 4/4/16 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks!
Rena

posted on 12/4/16 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Changed plans - I tried to mount me manifold in my car yesterday. Before I fitted it I knew I have to make a new engine mount, no problems to do.
But, even with a new mount, the manifold was to close to the frame - no space for engine to move.
So, therefore, it will be a winterproject to fix this.

Now I have to fix my old exhaust and re-use the exhaust manifold but change from the big 3" silencer to a smaller one. Thatīs why I have a questions.
I got to 2" pipes coming from the exhaust manifold. I must connect them to a Y-pipe. Will it work to have both A and B pipe as 2" or is B-pipe to small?

I have found a Y-pipe with A & B 2" but also a version with A as 2" and B as 2,5".

Which will work best? I know itīs not the perfect solution but as always, no time before season starts.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content Đ 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [Đ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.