Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Indicators and hazard light failed
AlexXtreme

posted on 10/12/17 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Indicators and hazard light failed

Last week my indicators failed driving in the dark on the m'way :-(... interesting doing hand signals at 60-70mph and not sure other drivers new what I was doing.
Anyway - replaced the relay (which I brought) and changed the stalk (I had a spare) and no difference. Everything else works on the car which is a 90's Ginetta G27 with a custom loom.
I tried to see the earth connection on the main loom but visibility under the dash is minimal and as everything else works, so could it be the earth??
Any suggestions as electrics are not my strong point :-)
Alex

Smoking Frog

posted on 10/12/17 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
I'm assuming you check for function after fitting new relay and before fitting replacement stalk. Is the stalk a ford sierra item? Is the replacement stalk the same type as the old. One switches earth the other switches live. Is relay getting power? Is the relay energizing?
AlexXtreme

posted on 10/12/17 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I checked function between each change and the relay is new and the Sierra stalk was an exact replacement and the rest of the functions work. Will try and check for power to the relay though any other suggestions. My first thought would be the earth though if everything else works could this still be an earth problem?

Dick

posted on 10/12/17 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the hazard switch may have failed
AlexXtreme

posted on 10/12/17 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
It is built in to the stalk and would this take out the indicators at the same time?
Dick

posted on 10/12/17 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it will stop them working the switch has to be in an off position for the indicators to work,
rusty nuts

posted on 10/12/17 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Try giving the switch a squirt of contact cleaner or failing that WD40 , I've had similar problems with mine and I know of a few others that have especially if the switch has got damp .
avagolen

posted on 10/12/17 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Fuse?

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

AlexXtreme

posted on 10/12/17 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Will check the fuse:-)... Just sprayed and cleaned one of the stalks and then realised that this would mean that both stalks would have failed which could have happened I guess.
First thing to do is to check the power to the relay.. And the earth if I can find it :-(
Alex

AlexXtreme

posted on 16/12/17 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Think I have found the problem... the indicator stalk blows the indicator fuse - thought I had checked but obviously not. The hazards are now working and initially the stalks blew both fuses which was cause the confusion..
the second stalk I have works fine but is not quite the right fit :-).
Are the repairable? I guess inside there are plenty of springs.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.