Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel tank take off
Daf

posted on 27/4/18 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel tank take off

I need to make a new take off for my fuel tank that is a barbed 1/2" connector, the tank itself is an OBP aluminium one. I've had a look on the interweb and there's a whole multitude of options out there, but before I go buying some bits and pieces I thought I'd see if anyone can recommend anything I've not thought of.

I am planning on taking it off directly below the filler neck so I can access the insde of the tank to thread something on, not easily mind! My plan as it stands is to drill a hole and fit something like this:

truth is though it would be helpful if it was through 90°, So I have thought about a banjo option - any thoughts?

CosKev3

posted on 27/4/18 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Your taking the tank out to do it?

If so get whatever you need welded on,can do any angle then

Daf

posted on 27/4/18 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Your taking the tank out to do it?

If so get whatever you need welded on,can do any angle then

Nope, tank is staying in!

Andybarbet

posted on 27/4/18 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Would something similar to this work ?

It says 15mm hose tail but a look on their website may bring up a 1/2" one.

https://www.asap-supplies.com/right-angle-stainless-steel-hose-tail-adaptor-422327

You would need a bsp nut, probably worth fitting a dowty seal on the inside & outside of the tank too.

[Edited on 27/4/18 by Andybarbet]

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 27/4/18 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
i have the perfect solution - i just can't find the web site ......... give me some time.

edited to add .... tada....

http://www.parts4aircraft.com/fuel-tank-fitting-c2x9383165

No welding, clamping, struggling to get your hand inside the tank to hold a nut.

[Edited on 27/4/18 by MikeR]

Daf

posted on 28/4/18 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
i have the perfect solution - i just can't find the web site ......... give me some time.

edited to add .... tada....

http://www.parts4aircraft.com/fuel-tank-fitting-c2x9383165

No welding, clamping, struggling to get your hand inside the tank to hold a nut.

[Edited on 27/4/18 by MikeR]

That's would be perfect, just a shame they don't do a bigger size. I could use two and a tee perhaps...

CosKev3

posted on 28/4/18 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Just remove the tank and get what you want welded on at whatever angle you want!!!

Is this for a fuel return?

If so get it welded on nearer the bottom,then it doesn't sound like someone's taking a slash in your tank at lower fuel levels! !!

Daf

posted on 28/4/18 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Just remove the tank and get what you want welded on at whatever angle you want!!!

Is this for a fuel return?

If so get it welded on nearer the bottom,then it doesn't sound like someone's taking a slash in your tank at lower fuel levels! !!

Your'e determined to get me to take that tank out aren't you! Problem is it won't come out - I made my beautiful loom on the car and it goes straight over the top of it, out through holes with soldered and crimped connectors that won't come back through the holes! Bit of an oversight but there we go!

It's for a new fuel pump feed, current one isn't really big enough

CosKev3

posted on 28/4/18 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
You tank has no sump on it?

That loom is a big oversight

Smoking Frog

posted on 28/4/18 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
So this connection will be a outlet to feed a high pressure pump. The outlet will be positioned (on filler neck) above the fuel level. HP pumps don't suck particularly well.

A swirl pot may be the answer if you have room for one and without the need to remove the tank. Run your existing tank outlet to a swirl pot via a LP pump. Run your HP pump from the swirl pot. Had a similar problem where the tank outlet diameter was too small to feed a HP pump without causing cavitation, fitted a swirl pot, problem solved.

Daf

posted on 28/4/18 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smoking Frog
So this connection will be a outlet to feed a high pressure pump. The outlet will be positioned (on filler neck) above the fuel level. HP pumps don't suck particularly well.

A swirl pot may be the answer if you have room for one and without the need to remove the tank. Run your existing tank outlet to a swirl pot via a LP pump. Run your HP pump from the swirl pot. Had a similar problem where the tank outlet diameter was too small to feed a HP pump without causing cavitation, fitted a swirl pot, problem solved.

Think I've cause some confusinon here, I've no intention of putting anything in the filler neck.

I have an 8mm fuel outlet from the tank and want to increase it (or add a new one) to 12mm without tanking the tank off. Think I'm going to go with the threaded barb as per first post, It's just a shame that MikeR solution doen't come nin a larger size.

Kev - tank has no sump just internal baffles, and I did realise as I was half way thorugh making the loom it was going to make taking the tank out a problem but though what are the chances of that needing to come back out and carried on! Fail

CosKev3

posted on 28/4/18 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daf
quote:
Originally posted by Smoking Frog

Think I've cause some confusinon here, I've no intention of putting anything in the filler neck.

I have an 8mm fuel outlet from the tank and want to increase it (or add a new one) to 12mm without tanking the tank off. Think I'm going to go with the threaded barb as per first post, It's just a shame that MikeR solution doen't come nin a larger size.

Kev - tank has no sump just internal baffles, and I did realise as I was half way thorugh making the loom it was going to make taking the tank out a problem but though what are the chances of that needing to come back out and carried on! Fail

Ha ha!

You could add a multiplug into it so you can then remove tank

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.