Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: Washing machine not draining
joneh

posted on 6/3/19 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
OT: Washing machine not draining

Sorry for the OT post.

I have a Bosch washing machine thats not draining. The filter is clear, the pipes arent blocked and the pump spins. I'm stumped.

I can pour water in the drum and it pours out the pump when the filter cover is off. If I pour water down the outlet, it flows back through so I know thats not blocked either. The pump spins fine, so its getting power. If I jab a pen in whilst its spinning it gives a fair whack of resistance.

I've ordered a new pump assuming its just not creating enough force to push water, just wondering if anyone knows if I'm missing anything?

Cheers,
Jon

HowardB

posted on 6/3/19 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
if you lower the exit pipe to the lowest possible, or raise the washer does it syphon out?
My dishwasher would just empty and needed to have a certain level of pipe exit - either comment may or may not be useful

GL

H

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

westf27

posted on 6/3/19 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
If the drain hose connects through anti syphin valve to drain check for blockages.
A coin or button can get stuck in hose and perform like a butterfly flap.

Bluemoon

posted on 6/3/19 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
I am guessing a sensor fault or pump?

It knows it's empty/full somehow.

I guess the pump is not "buzzing" when it's supposed to be draining? - could be mechanical if it is. Is power getting to the motor when on drain (caution live equipment!! only do this is qualified not to electrocute yourself!)?

The impeller is normally dirven via a magnetic coupling. i.e. pump motor can spin without pumping action if the impeller is seized.

Have you looked for the service manual? I have had luck finding them online before, they tend to have fault codes hidden for within might give you a clue..

Much prefer the mechanical program type machines lot easier to fix

joneh

posted on 6/3/19 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
So upon further dismantling and swearing, with a little blood spread over the front, theres a large rubber hose that comes from the bottom of the drum to the pump. Within this hose is a large round chamber with a plastic ball in it, about the size of a tennis ball. Another small hose from this chamber runs right up to the top of the machine to some sort of solenoid. I'm guessing that the ball sinks when the machine is on, to stop the water getting mucky in the pump area, then when it drains the ball floats up to let the water run down. (Possibly visa versa)

Now for the technical bit - I quick whack with a screwdriver on the solenoid thing seemed to make it work.

gremlin1234

posted on 6/3/19 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jonehNow for the technical bit - I quick whack with a screwdriver on the solenoid thing seemed to make it work.
percussion maintenance

joneh

posted on 6/3/19 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
So another exciting development - its broken again.

Also, what I said up there = bollox!

Its a pressure switch. Ball floaty, door shut. Ball sinky, door open.

I blew into the manual drain hose whilst I had it set to drain, and the pump picked up. I reckon its just on its way out and needs a whack to get going. New pump £13.50 off eBay, delivered Sat.

Stay tuned for another update! (or possibly a sale ad for a spares or repair washing machine)

40inches

posted on 6/3/19 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
The ball and chamber are part of the "detergent reclamation" system, most manufactures fit them.
They are a load of trouble and stick shut, I always remove the ball when I fit a new pump.
The switch at the top end of the small bore tube is a pressure switch and governs the water level, it also
stops the heater switching on if there is no water in the drum, and stops the machine spinning if there is.
I spent 40 years repairing the things, until I retired

nick205

posted on 7/3/19 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
joneh - sympathise with and admire your efforts in trying to repair the machine. Also note your comments on getting blood on it - had the same issue repairing my dishwasher a couple of years ago. Got it working and it's still going strong so worth doing!

Stick with it and hope you get it sorted.

joneh

posted on 8/3/19 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
The ball and chamber are part of the "detergent reclamation" system, most manufactures fit them.
They are a load of trouble and stick shut, I always remove the ball when I fit a new pump.
The switch at the top end of the small bore tube is a pressure switch and governs the water level, it also
stops the heater switching on if there is no water in the drum, and stops the machine spinning if there is.
I spent 40 years repairing the things, until I retired

That makes more sense - I gather it also acts as a flood prevention device, if the pump backs up and the ball floats up, the pressure switch triggers and shuts off the pumps. I've seen a video online where some guy retrieved nearly £10 in change from that area!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.