Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Network IPv4 routing question
scudderfish

posted on 20/6/20 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Network IPv4 routing question

Completely not car related!

I have a bit of an odd setup at home due to Openreach/BT being useless (If I want FTTC*, they want £5k). This is an approx diagram of my network.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rn3WGXIKk4QBM5LrfGwL6LWav0_Wcmth/view?usp=sharing

I basically want to add static routes (I assume) to the netgear mesh and openwrt boxes so that on the laptop which gets 10.0.0.2 as it's address, I can access the web interface on 192.168.1.1. What spec routes do I need?

Regards,
David

* not even FTTP! Houses around me not on the same cabinet all get reasonable speeds, I get 3-4Mb ADSL. Last year I got a 4G fixed mobile router for literally 10x better performance, but that has nasty CGNAT on it. AAISP, my ISP for years lets me set up an L2TP tunnel over that so I get full fat internet access as it should be. I'm currently fiddling with VOIP so I can completely stop giving BT any money at all.

JMW

posted on 20/6/20 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
I just got a 4g router a month ago for exactly the same reasons as you, with roughly the same result, so compared with before I am happy (so far).

But forgive me, I don't understand a lot of the terminology you mention in regard to the 4g router, for example what is CGNAT and why is it not good? I did google for cgnat but am none the wiser.

scudderfish

posted on 20/6/20 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Basically, you get NAT twice which scuppers any chance of running a server at home. AAISP give me 30 static IPs so I run mail server, web server, calendar server etc from them.
JMW

posted on 20/6/20 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
OK, thanks.
jeffw

posted on 20/6/20 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
You are actually using the public address space internally rather than NAT on the router?
SteveWalker

posted on 20/6/20 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not set the first device to pass everything straight through and the second to carry out port forwarding, so you only end up with one layer of NAT? That is a common scenario for people using a cable router as just a modem and then connecting their own, more capable, router to it.
scudderfish

posted on 21/6/20 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
You are actually using the public address space internally rather than NAT on the router?

Yes. I have several different machines I want traffic on 443 to go to. Most stuff lives behind the 10.x.x.x network, but I want to hit the admin page on the 4G box.

scudderfish

posted on 21/6/20 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
Can you not set the first device to pass everything straight through and the second to carry out port forwarding, so you only end up with one layer of NAT? That is a common scenario for people using a cable router as just a modem and then connecting their own, more capable, router to it.

That is effectively what I have as the L2TP tunnel hides the connection the 4G router has to my network. I then have a bunch of boxes with public routable addresses, and everything else 'hidden' behind the 10.x.x.x network.

David Jenkins

posted on 21/6/20 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Potentially dumb question: have you asked someone like Plusnet for a quote for FTTC?

Although they are owned by BT, they are way cheaper - might be worth a shot, even if "the computer says no".

scudderfish

posted on 21/6/20 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Potentially dumb question: have you asked someone like Plusnet for a quote for FTTC?

Although they are owned by BT, they are way cheaper - might be worth a shot, even if "the computer says no".

Because ultimately it is Openreach who run the fibre to the cabinet and they want £5k to do that. I think fundamentally my problem is tweaking the firewall rules on the OpenWRT box to allow the traffic through. If I do a 'traceroute 192.168.1.1' from a 10.x.x.x machine it does get as far as the OpenWRT box and then disappears. On that box I can merrily access 192.168.1.1. Next test is can I get to 192.168.1.1 from another 90.155.34.x machine.

David Jenkins

posted on 21/6/20 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
I know what you're saying - but Openreach will quote one figure, and other suppliers will quote another. You may be surprised...

scudderfish

posted on 21/6/20 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I know what you're saying - but Openreach will quote one figure, and other suppliers will quote another. You may be surprised...

Openreach aren't the ISP (like Plusnet or A&A), they are the part of BT that does infrastructure, so whichever ISP you use (unless it is someone like Virgin with there own kit), you end up using stuff owned by Openreach and they charge whatever they want.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 21/6/20 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with try Plusnet. They may bundle 10,20,100 requests and get a large discount that you asking doesn't.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.