Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: propshaft - too short? should I panic?
MikeR

posted on 7/11/22 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
propshaft - too short? should I panic?

So as I understand it the rule is push the prop all the way in and pull it out 20 to 25mm.

I got mine second hand and it's got 36mm movement. It's behind a crossflow. I'm guessing it's fine as is got about 55mm of engagement measuring the splined section inside the yoke. Should I get the prop extended to add 15mm engagement to take it to about 70mm?

My instinct is no. But I thought I'd check with the collective wisdom here. Safety is more important than the 150+ vat Dave Mac has quoted to extend the prop (now panicking I said drive shaft and not prop when I spoke to him) but id much rather not have to do the job and save the cash.

[Edited on 7/11/22 by MikeR]

theconrodkid

posted on 7/11/22 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
in a non scientific way i would say the prop is too short, can you move the engine / box back a tad ?, if not i would get another prop

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/11/22 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'd not be keen on having no clearance as if you hit a speedbump hard you could ram the prop into the back of the gearbox. 55mm seems plenty imo especially if it's not loose on the splines. I mean really your asking, could this thing fall off the splines and kill me and no it can't. That 25mm rule you quote is more dependent on the suspension type and travel and how much suspension movement affects the prop length. Most of my cars with propshafts were landrovers and the suspension positioning was all over the place offroad and nothing fell off...well the propshaft anyway, so you might be worrying about nothing really.

[Edited on 7/11/22 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dmac

posted on 7/11/22 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
15mm spacer at the diff flange?
MikeR

posted on 7/11/22 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've thought about this a few times, it's a bodge & I don't know anyone to make one plus I'll need to source longer bolts. Figured a extended prop wouldn't be that much more expensive (didn't expect the size of quote from Dave Mac but I'll pay if it needs doing).

Just taking the prop out today got me thinking that the 15mm I'm adding isn't that much. It's not a mega power 16v engine. It's it needed?

MikeR

posted on 7/11/22 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thought I should add, it's to a Sierra diff so I'm not expecting any movement on the prop.
dmac

posted on 7/11/22 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
So you've got over 75% of the recommended engagement, since you are running an IRS and there is not going to be any sliding in use to reduce it still further, are you running more than 75% of the rated power? If not then you should be fine.
gremlin1234

posted on 7/11/22 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dmac
15mm spacer at the diff flange?

or 7.5mm each end.
or
if you needed to add a reverse.(usually just motorcycle engines) then the answer would be very easy.

MikeR

posted on 7/11/22 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
You can't do a spacer on the type 9 gearbox end. The gearbox bellhousing is hard up against the bulkhead so I can't move it back
theconrodkid

posted on 7/11/22 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Thought I should add, it's to a Sierra diff so I'm not expecting any movement on the prop.

having a sierra diff changes my thoughts on the subject, should be fine then.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.