Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: pinto ignition
John Stones

posted on 28/11/22 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
pinto ignition

Hello. having problems getting the timing set up on my 1600cc pinto.
It's got a ford distributor. I am happy that the basic timing of crank to
camshaft is ok. I am having some trouble timing the distributor I have
the engine running but when I put a strobe light on number 1 plug the
strobing is approx 30 degrees advanced. However if I put the strobe on
number 3 plug the strobe is at the timing marks. I have moved the plug leads
to suit but that didn't work. Turning the distributor to retard the ignition also does not
work. Reading the haynes manual states that the vacuum advance should face the rear
of the engine when fitting the distributor but I cannot do this because of the twin Webers
fitted. Any help/guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

gremlin1234

posted on 28/11/22 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
having a 30 degree difference on what should be be the same point on the timing marks for cyl 1 and 3,
suggests something is very wrong, my initial guess would be the distributer shaft (the bit that triggers the points) being bent.

theconrodkid

posted on 28/11/22 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
point or lectronic ?, if points i would say the dizzy cam is worn on one lobe , make some new marks for 2 and 4 and see if they vary as well

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

rusty nuts

posted on 28/11/22 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
No 3 cylinder should be 180 crank degrees from no 1 , check the timing on cylinder no 4 which in theory should be the same as no 1 . If it isn’t then the distributor is worn/faulty
mcerd1

posted on 28/11/22 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Stones
Reading the haynes manual states that the vacuum advance should face the rear
of the engine when fitting the distributor but I cannot do this because of the twin Webers
fitted.

I assume you had the rotor arm lined up to cyl 1 when its at TDC and the can timing marks line up ?

also are you checking the timing with the vac advance disconnected ?
(and how have you got it connected up to the twin webers ?)

-

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/11/22 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
I'd set the number 1 cylinder to TDC (confirm by putting a rod down the spark plug bore, it should be rising and both valves shut). Pull out the distributor, enough to clear the drive cog underneath (mind there is a long hex drive to the oil pump) and rotate it till the distributer is almost on the cam lobe for that plug, push it back down to reengage it. You might have to do this a couple of times as the drive cog is a helix, one tooth out seems to be fine. There isn't really a particular terminal on the cap that is for a specific cylinder, it's just what works. Where the vacuumed advance bellow is pointing is irrelevant.

Tbh with your setup I'd not even use the standard distributer and instead go for a full electronic one with automatic advance as your carb setup is totally different now, correct timing has a huge impact on performance.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.