Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A fashion tip from Mr Whippy
Mr Whippy

posted on 11/3/24 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
A fashion tip from Mr Whippy

ok don't get your hopes up, in 5 decades I have only learnt that trousers don't go on your head, but hey had someone braved the ridicule and mentioned this idiotic point to me, it would have saved me a small fortune. And don't worry I already know I'm a halfwit so feck it.

So back to my revelation... wow

Like many I have worn jeans in the garage, firstly they are (normally) quite cheap and secondly I have to put zero thought into it, win win. However time after time the damn things rip, I mean really rip torn right up the, I don't even do yoga! I tried different makes, stonewashed or not, so called work ones that cost way too much and I can hardly move in them, they suck.

Then one day while getting yet another pair and paying no attention at all to what I was buying, I picked up a pair that has so far totally resisted flashing my beautiful arse!! How?? well the damn things are stretchable, ok so you all knew that existed but I didn't cos well I'm a cool car guy know only knows cool stuff like spanners and bolts and erm car stuff... I'm too cool to know that jeans that stretch exist , see ha in your face!

And there you go now blessed by my wisdom, your welcome

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 12/3/24 at 12:58 AM Reply With Quote
next instalment: Mr Whippy in lycra
Mr Whippy

posted on 12/3/24 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
next instalment: Mr Whippy in lycra

the world is not ready for that...

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 12/3/24 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Mr W....

Thank you for this revelation!

Personally my "garage/decorating/gardening/dog walking" jeans are the ones that have reached the end of everday service.

i.e. already have rips, the old repair etc.

If they incur a bit more damage it doesn't really matter.

A pair of overalls over the top usually covers up and flexes a bit more anyway.

loggyboy

posted on 12/3/24 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Beware, stretch jeans are very weak IME. They wear and tear (literally) much faster than standard jeans.

Mistral Motorsport

Slimy38

posted on 12/3/24 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Mr W....

Personally my "garage/decorating/gardening/dog walking" jeans are the ones that have reached the end of everday service.

Same here, in fact I've just bought a new pair of jeans that will start on the top of the pile, and my oldest pair will replace my garage pair. It starts to become a bit of a pain when the holes and rips are so big that getting your foot through the correct final hole is entirely luck rather than intentional.

nick205

posted on 12/3/24 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Mr W....

Same here, in fact I've just bought a new pair of jeans that will start on the top of the pile, and my oldest pair will replace my garage pair. It starts to become a bit of a pain when the holes and rips are so big that getting your foot through the correct final hole is entirely luck rather than intentional.

Agred - jeans work top of the pile down.

When the rips and holes make them hard work to get on it's time for them to find the bin

jacko

posted on 12/3/24 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Well my son buys jeans with holes in to go out in thats the fashion he tells me

craig1410

posted on 12/3/24 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
I got fed up with the ar$e of my jeans ripping years ago so I made the switch to "work trousers" of the type that tradesmen wear. I also have work shorts for the summer and in both cases they are so much better than jeans that I won't be going back to jeans any time soon.

They also tend to be cheaper and come with a variety of pocket and pouches which are very handy depending on what you're doing. They also often have little knew pockets into which you can install knee pads for some jobs too. You can get the thermal variety for the winter and also waterproof ones. Screwfix carry a decent range as do B&Q so pretty easy to come by.

Similarly, tradesman footwear is also very cheap compared to the likes of hiking boots, and tends to last longer and come with things like steel toe caps as standard. So also worth checking out.

Slimy38

posted on 12/3/24 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
I got fed up with the ar$e of my jeans ripping years ago so I made the switch to "work trousers" of the type that tradesmen wear. I also have work shorts for the summer and in both cases they are so much better than jeans that I won't be going back to jeans any time soon.

They also tend to be cheaper and come with a variety of pocket and pouches which are very handy depending on what you're doing. They also often have little knew pockets into which you can install knee pads for some jobs too. You can get the thermal variety for the winter and also waterproof ones. Screwfix carry a decent range as do B&Q so pretty easy to come by.

Similarly, tradesman footwear is also very cheap compared to the likes of hiking boots, and tends to last longer and come with things like steel toe caps as standard. So also worth checking out.

I tried work trousers, I don't know whether it was the type of trousers I bought but the leg pocket/pouch used to have an uncanny ability to find the nearest protruding bracket or piece of wood. And unfortunately because they were half decent quality it usually meant my leg stopped moving rather than the cloth tearing!! Knee pads would be very useful though, I find the left knee is always the first to wear out on any clothing.

I agree with the footwear though, isn't it VAT exempt or at least discounted? That accounts for a little bit of a discount. I'm sure someone showed me the same boot as a plain and capped option, and the capped option was markedly cheaper.

nick205

posted on 13/3/24 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Well my son buys jeans with holes in to go out in thats the fashion he tells me

:

My eldest lad + several nieces and nephews do the same

Buying ones with holes already in them seems even more expensive than buying a non-ripped pair!

When I was a nipper, a ripped pair of jeans was a sign that you'd been playing hard and probably come off your push bike.

[Edited on 13-3-24 by nick205]

Slater

posted on 13/3/24 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
a funny thread! Thanks Mr Whippy for the entertainment. My jeans work their way down the pile, just the same as you guys, so my DIY/garage/garden pair are just threadbare and full of holes, specially in the pockets which is annoying. So I might try out the workwear type trousers mentioned above.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

craig1410

posted on 13/3/24 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
My current work trousers are from the brand Scruffs and are pretty good. A bit dearer than the average but looks like they'll last well. One thing I would avoid is trousers with the rubberised band around the inside of the waistband because these just seem to cause your t-shirt to become untucked and then you have the rubber band direct on your skin which is uncomfortable. I had a pair which I think were "Site" branded and they were like this and I hated them. I guess it's to give better "hold up" when loaded with tools but I prefer to just use a good thick belt and rely on my hips being bigger than my waist to keep them up!

Here are my Scruffs: https://www.screwfix.com/p/scruffs-trade-stretch-work-trousers-grey-and-black-32-w-32-l/174gx
I also have the Scruffs belt and knee pads and a pair of shorts too.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.