Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Miata vs Sierra/Celica
RK

posted on 4/3/07 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Miata vs Sierra/Celica

I recently found a pic of the Sierra rear end. I have an 84 Celica GTS whose rear end is almost identical. I don't think anybody in Canada makes frames for the Sierra, only the Miata. SO, how different is the Miata from the Sierra?? Are the bolts in the same places?

I have been told to keep it Miata, but a rear end is big bucks, and I already have a Celica one. My mechanical knowledge is limited so keep it simple!!

[Edited on 4/3/07 by RK]

RK

posted on 5/3/07 at 02:48 AM Reply With Quote
Well, thanks anyways. I guess nobody knows. I am trying to avoid having to weld stuff since I can't weld.
scotmac

posted on 5/3/07 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
5 hours, most of which was sunday, and 2 of which was LATE sunday night, in the UK...Give them a LITTLE time.
trogdor

posted on 5/3/07 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
i think they are quite different, the miatia is an mazda mx5? if so they have front and back subframes the whole running gear can be one piece without the bodywork, theres a pic on here somewhere.

i don't think the sierra is at all like this, but i don't know for sure. but if the celica is like the sierra back end there are plenty of kits and chassis plans you could use.

Arthur Dent

posted on 5/3/07 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
You can get a Sierra frame from Haler Concepts - (the Velocity - same as Luego). A Merkur XRTi will yield most of the Sierra bits except the engine.

[Edited on 2007/3/5 by Arthur Dent]

'The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.' Douglas Adams

RK

posted on 6/3/07 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
This is my dilemma:

A Haler/Luego frame from England will not get on the road here in Quebec without a government-chosen engineer's report. A LOT of hassle. So it has to be MADE here, somebody has to give it a VIN, and it has to fit a Miata or a Toyota - there are no straight axle RWD cars left where I live unless I want an old 1975 Mustang II rustbucket from the junkyard (for $850). Don't mention S10 pickup trucks. I am aware that for about $3000 I could buy an engine, trans, and Sierra rear end from a place in Vancouver, all imported from Olde Blighty. I would pay a few hundred more to get it shipped the 5000 km to here.

My choices are very few, unfortunately. I stand to be corrected, but I don't think any companies make their frames in Canada, except Deman in Ontario.

If I could, I'd order an MNR Vortex, pay the duty, taxes, $2000 cdn shipping and be done with it. But I won't be able to drive it past the edge of my driveway.

Sorry for the impatience. It's just that I need the donor out of my buddy's driveway by the end of this week.

Seriously, a friend has a Head Gasket for a Cortina 1300 for sale. New, old stock FelPro. No: HS21105B-3. He wants 20 english pounds or $40. You can PM me.

Arthur Dent

posted on 6/3/07 at 04:23 AM Reply With Quote
http://canadianlocost.com/home.htm makes frames too - probably don't provide the bolt in goodness you need. Plenty of donors out west - why not take a cheap flight out and drive donor back?
RK

posted on 7/3/07 at 01:10 AM Reply With Quote
Because I am too young to die. Have you checked the weather lately???!! But thanks.
rossnzwpi

posted on 1/4/07 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
I have an MX5 - they are double wishbone rear end on a subframe. I think that era of Celica is a semi-trailing arm so similar in concept to the Sierra/Merkur. Semi trailing is a space-saving idea for sedans that don't have the room for better geometry - hence guys like Rorty designing a way of taking Sierra rear components and turning them into the better double wishbone system.
RK

posted on 1/4/07 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Here's how it's played out so far:

Dismantled and destroyed an 84 Celica, with a 22re motor. The car cost $925.

Garage rental, labour costs: $250

Had the transmission rebuilt, as it was missing 5th gear - cost $450. Spray painted the trans yesterday, using engine enamel.

Kept the Engine, Trans, entire rear end, wheels, computer, electrics, emergency brake, and some odds and ends.

Sold the tires and rims for $50 cdn. The 4 original Toyota mags, which are in very good shape (tires aren't great) are for sale: $200 cdn firm.

Ordered an MX5 based SR7 Module A kit from Deman Motorsports - good reputation - seem like OK blokes. Very expensive compared to your prices, but that's the price of admission.

Bought Front brake calipers, front hubs, spindles, rear brake calipers, gauges, 13" mags, full gasket kit for the motor, TR Spitfire steering rack, AND a cool little Lotus gear knob, off fleaBay. Cost: rather not know.

Need rear axles or diff/rear end from an MX5. Think I have sourced those. This is the only one that fits the SR7 frame, apparently. I am not an engineer - amateur or otherwise, and not a welder, and have read enough Adams and Staniforth to keep away from that stuff!

Should this post go somewhere else? Thanks guys/girls.

[Edited on 1/4/07 by RK]

Arthur Dent

posted on 12/4/07 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you are off to a good start. The SR7 looks like a really nice kit.

There is a guy building one up by Edmonton but I believe his has the T-bird rear end instead of Miata.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1891

'The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.' Douglas Adams

RK

posted on 12/4/07 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, there are a couple of BEC's with the TBird diff, but I haven't seen any Miata-based ones yet. Got everything to get it rolling, except the rear uprights and hubs - prices vary wildly. I am waiting for Dan to let me into their builder's site.

The learning curve has been steep for me, but I am realising that a kit like the Deman is actually meant to go together by design, and not my haphazard guesses etc I am however, going to need all the help I can find so I will stay tuned.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.