Board logo

Insurance
sevaun - 28/3/19 at 07:39 AM

Hi
Not sure if this post's in the right place, but I can't see an section that's more suited so here goes...My car has been sorned for quite a long time(10 years) so it's not been insured recently. I'm considering putting it back on the road, but I'm just wondering about running costs as I'm now a pensioner. What are you guys paying typically in insurance(and with who) costs nowadays for a Locost with a 1700 crossflow on twin 40's? I'm 65 and live in the North of England.

Cheers

Rich

David Jenkins - 28/3/19 at 08:37 AM

I've just renewed mine with A-Plan - £114 Fully Comp - I'm a 66-year-old pensioner, live in a rural area that isn't penalised by the insurance companies, with one incident in my history. My mileage is limited to 1500 p.a.

My car isn't too different from yours - 1660cc XFlow with bike carbs.

sevaun - 28/3/19 at 10:42 AM

Thanks David, pretty much what I paid back in 2005, but I live in Bradford which has the worst insurance stats in the UK. 50% of the nomarks here don't even have insurance!

rusty nuts - 28/3/19 at 10:50 AM

Probably worth making a few phone calls look in the insurance section of the forum for a few pointers.

40inches - 28/3/19 at 10:53 AM

I am with A-Plan also, 70 year old just south of Sheffield and pay £149 for the 3 litre MK.
A-Plan offer monthly payments for not a lot more per annum

overdriver - 28/3/19 at 12:22 PM

Admittedly I don't live 'up north' (Worcester) but I am a senior citizen (in fact more senior than any other contributor so far!) and I have found it difficult to pay much over £100 with A-plan for my 2.0 Pinto powered Tiger. Fully comp., clean record & limited mileage.

Certainly shop around but I would recommend including A-plan (Thatcham) in your enquiries.

Michael.

sevaun - 28/3/19 at 01:13 PM

A Plan seems to be cropping up a bit!
I have just remembered an issue that arose while trying to get a quote from Adrian Flux. The young lady asked if i would be using the car for motorsport.
I played the honest man and said yes I would be hill climbing the car from time to time, thinking if I was honest then i obviously wouldn't try to pull the wool in the event of an accident on track. She then catagorically refused to give me a quote siting their policy that they would not give cover to anyone who used the car for any kind of motorsport or trackdays. I did point out that probably 90% of their kit car customers took part in trackdays, sprints, hillclimbs and sprints etc etc. She was adamant that as I had declared it I would not get insurance from them! As you can imagine i wasn't best pleased and then took my business elsewhere and I'll never use them again.
I'll give A plan a call.

Rich

David Jenkins - 28/3/19 at 03:59 PM

Incidentally, if you get a policy through A-Plan then you'll end up being insured by a company owned by LV. Nice to know there's a big company in the background...

Davedew - 28/3/19 at 05:04 PM

Renewed my insurance with A-plan yesterday. £138 fully comp + commuting, 2 ltr zetec with bike carbs, 38yo, 3K miles a year, clean license.

Were a lot cheaper than Adrian Flux last year which is why I swapped the kit over to them.
Also got my daily insured with A-plan, has been for a few years. Always manage to do a deal with them.

ianhurley20 - 28/3/19 at 10:55 PM

I was with Adrian Flux but at renewal A plan came up with £89 fully comp 3k miles. I'm 67. Oops - after paying I had an oops day in the wet and the car was written off. I was insured through Adrian Flux £98 and 3k miles. It was LV who were the insurance company who were behind the deal and they were excellent. Assesor was on scene in 3 days and estimated cost of damage at 16k so full payout in a week or so and A plan refunded my payment as insurance didn't start until 6 days later.
Can't fault either AF or A plan. Pity I don't have a kitcar though anymore. Have to start again I suppose . If I do it will be car number 5....

UncleFista - 29/3/19 at 07:15 PM

We're also in Bradford *waves*, 2 middle aged brothers, car based in Bradford 4 , 2l Zetec , around £150-ish fully comp I think.