Board logo

EBay fan views
Shooter63 - 29/8/18 at 09:23 PM

I need a new cooling fan for my new alloy polo clone rad, what are people's views on the ebay ones that seem pretty darn cheap at around £20, and having a measure up the 10" one seems about right?

Shooter

cliftyhanger - 30/8/18 at 04:45 AM

It may be OK, but don't expect it to perform as well as a proper branded one....
(I know an electronics engineer who bought one, and when tested its power was substantially lower than quoted. Well, there is s surprise! He sent it back and bought a Spal)
I have a spal on one car, and a cheapy on another. The cheapy seems to work OK, then again it very rarely comes on.

Mr Whippy - 30/8/18 at 06:07 AM

well at £20 you know there will be cost cutting going on...

But then all depends on how much it's used and how much the rad can cope on it's own. I never seen a worn out fan on any car and for years I drove my old nissan with the fan missing, even towing trailers too and it was just fine. If it stops working, yeah just get another £20 fan. A fan check switch for the dash that bypasses the thermostat switch might be an idea so you can check it operates.

ianhurley20 - 30/8/18 at 08:02 AM

On my car I use an MX5 fan and on a friends we have a Ford Focus one. VERY cheap and both are excellent bits of kit, easily adapted to the radiators we have (MX5 slightly easier) - mine a VW polo one and the other is a proper ally one

nick205 - 30/8/18 at 08:07 AM

IIRC I paid about £40 for a branded fan to fit in my MK Indy with a Polo radiator (2.0 Pinto engine). Fan used to come on in traffic and never had any issues with it's performance or engine cooling overall. Better safe than sorry IMHO when it comes to this sort of thing.

Ugg10 - 30/8/18 at 08:08 AM

I got the 120w one rather than the 80w one. Thought a slightly bigger motor may be worth the extra couple of pounds.

johnemms - 30/8/18 at 07:07 PM

polo rad vw gti  fittings
polo rad vw gti fittings

Scrap yard - VW Golf - cut n shut out second fan
VW Gti Rad Fans & new core
VW Gti Rad Fans & new core

big-vee-twin - 30/8/18 at 07:13 PM

They are pants, changed mine for a Spal.

Oddified - 30/8/18 at 08:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
They are pants, changed mine for a Spal.

2nd that..night and day difference when you fit proper fan such as Spal etc