Board logo

Formula E, boring !
steve m - 14/7/19 at 06:42 AM

Imho,

Ive only watched a few formula E races, yet have come to the conclusion, that they mind numbingly boring
To me they look like over excited kids driving very expensive cars, BADLY, they crash into each other all the time, like bumper car rides

Yesterdays farce on the last lap, was just plain odd

The track is way way to narrow for any real racing,
and then there's the noise! what an awful din, scalextric springs to mind

Anyway, I wont be watching it again

But I will the F1 Grand Prix's

as said, just mho

steve

theconrodkid - 14/7/19 at 06:58 AM

i managed 5 mins and came to the same conclusion as you, as for F1, that has gone the same way and is far too "corporate", havnt watched a race for a couple of years now, just watch GT,s and endurance these days.

Slimy38 - 14/7/19 at 08:50 AM

For me it was the on screen display, listing all the drivers with their 'energy levels' just made me think of a really expensive Mario Kart. Add on the noises of the cars themselves and I was waiting for a mushroom or a banana skin to appear on the track and the commentator to say 'lets a go'...

motorcycle_mayhem - 14/7/19 at 04:06 PM

...and Formula Mercedes is any better?

For real racing these days, any club motorsport venue will offer some great battles, or MotoGP.

perksy - 14/7/19 at 07:00 PM

Quick single seater milk floats with spoilers

Trouble is folks its allegedly the future...

jeffw - 15/7/19 at 05:54 AM

It will get worse, apparently the future is electric Roboracers. I'm going to take up another extreme sport, knitting anyone?

[Edited on 15/7/19 by jeffw]

Matth93 - 15/7/19 at 07:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
For me it was the on screen display, listing all the drivers with their 'energy levels' just made me think of a really expensive Mario Kart. Add on the noises of the cars themselves and I was waiting for a mushroom or a banana skin to appear on the track and the commentator to say 'lets a go'...

That would make it more interesting if everyone started chucking stuff at each other

David Jenkins - 15/7/19 at 07:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
I'm going to take up another extreme sport, knitting anyone?

There is a 'sport' called 'extreme ironing'...

LINKY

As for motor racing - I had a look at the British Grand Prix yesterday. The technology is amazing, the speeds are incredible, the drivers incredibly skilled... but I lost interest after 10 minutes. I'd rather watch British Touring Car together with all its support races (Ginetta, etc).

[Edited on 15/7/19 by David Jenkins]

nick205 - 15/7/19 at 07:52 AM

Not watched Formula E myself and can't say it interests me.

I watched the last 10 laps of the British F1 Grand Prix yesterday and all it did was remind my why I lost interest in it it quite a few years ago. Seems (IMHO) far too corporate with very little competitive racing going on. TBH I find the same with most televised motorsport really - BIGGEST wallet wins it.

jeffw - 15/7/19 at 08:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
BIGGEST wallet wins it.

In any sport that relies on technology for a competitive edge, money makes a big difference. Obviously Money + Talent will beat money alone.

[Edited on 15/7/19 by jeffw]

talkingshte - 15/7/19 at 09:11 AM

Best motorsport I've seen for years was the Ginetta juniors, they're all so hungry for a win.
Formula E, never watched it and never will.
I find with all motorsport now there's just too much waffle and not enough racing.

overdriver - 15/7/19 at 03:23 PM

Why oh why does Formula E have to be run on city streets? OK, I can appreciate that the powers that be want to forge some sort of urban association for the sport but all they end up with is narrow, Armco and catch fence lined, nondescript, bumpy, sharp-cornered false tracks which offer very limited scope for spectating, precious little 'televisual' appeal and, worst of all, little opportunity for good, clean and engaging racing.

Whilst major cities are being courted by Formula E, 'proper' circuits such as Mallory Park, Castle Combe etc. are having to curtail their programmes due, in great part, to noise restrictions. Formula 1 seems to be chasing the money with proposed 'destination venues' (?) whilst Silverstone, Monza and Spa have had to re-negotiate their positions. Street circuits are all very well as a novelty and in restricted numbers (I attended the Birmingham Superprix years ago and don't really lament its passing) but more should be done to support and retain traditional circuits (at national and international level) whose primary purpose is to provide a venue for racing.

So I think I'll stick with the BTCC programme or, better yet, the Goodwood Revival (went 2 years ago – wanted to move in!) or Silverstone Classic.

Anyway, why anyone would be happier watching and listening to an 80 odd decibel oversized Scalextric rather than a 100+ decibel 'firebreather' is beyond me! I rather prefer the exhaust note to be louder than the tyre squeal!

Michael.

loggyboy - 15/7/19 at 03:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by overdriver
Why oh why does Formula E have to be run on city streets? OK, I can appreciate that the powers that be want to forge some sort of urban association for the sport but all they end up with is narrow, Armco and catch fence lined, nondescript, bumpy, sharp-cornered false tracks which offer very limited scope for spectating, precious little 'televisual' appeal and, worst of all, little opportunity for good, clean and engaging racing.

Whilst major cities are being courted by Formula E, 'proper' circuits such as Mallory Park, Castle Combe etc. are having to curtail their programmes due, in great part, to noise restrictions. Formula 1 seems to be chasing the money with proposed 'destination venues' (?) whilst Silverstone, Monza and Spa have had to re-negotiate their positions. Street circuits are all very well as a novelty and in restricted numbers (I attended the Birmingham Superprix years ago and don't really lament its passing) but more should be done to support and retain traditional circuits (at national and international level) whose primary purpose is to provide a venue for racing.

I suspect its down to speed. Or lack of. Yes they are quick, but compared to a formula 1 car they would just look silly on wide open circuits. Until they can reach 200mph, and last for more than 25 mins (they need 2 cars to make the 45min race as it is!). Even the claimed top speed of 280kmh (170~mph) is when they are in quali mode which obviously lasts a few laps top - they loose 1/5th there power in race mode.

It will get better but the key sound will always be missing.

overdriver - 15/7/19 at 09:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

I suspect its down to speed. Or lack of. Yes they are quick, but compared to a formula 1 car they would just look silly on wide open circuits.

I have to admit being old enough to have seen 500 c.c. Formula 3 Cooper Nortons and the like racing on the full Silverstone GP circuit. They were a damn sight slower than Formula E cars but provided great entertainment. Added to which, I seem to recall that Donnington was used as the testing ground prior to the launch of the FE series.

Give racing cars a proper place to race and not just take part in an accident strewn street parade (must I stop now or may I rant further?).

Michael.

bozla - 15/7/19 at 09:49 PM

Having watched every. Single. Race. I can confirm you are all right. I will continue to watch, just to make sure.

bozla - 15/7/19 at 09:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
They need 2 cars to make the 45min race as it is!

Thank god we have have such keen viewers who keep up with modern developments!

[Edited on 15/7/19 by bozla]

JimSpencer - 16/7/19 at 06:47 AM

I think Formula E is brilliant..

.. because

Without it, it'd be much easier for somebody to come up with a valid reason to ban motorsport altogether.

Every motorsport enthusiast should sing it's praises from the rooftops (whilst keeping fingers crossed behind ones back of course..) so they can continue to watch/compete/help out at the bit of the motorsport world they enjoy.

ianhurley20 - 16/7/19 at 08:27 AM

Gosh - what a lot of negative thoughts.
I really enjoy watching the progress that FE is making - they have improved tremendously since the start of the series and it is one way to keep racing. I really like the lack of noise as well!
F1 - brilliant - apart from a bit of a dip with Micael Shumacker years it is something I really look forward to.
AND Ginetta's and 7evens at my local Snetterton track, Oh and bikes annd ......

I miss Lydden Hill and Murray Walker

Now if only we could get rid of tennis, football and cricket ....

[Edited on 16/7/19 by ianhurley20]

FEZ1025 - 16/7/19 at 09:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by overdriverWhy oh why does Formula E have to be run on city streets?
To me this is the biggest issue, it's false racing, I'm sure it would be far better if there were real overtaking opportunities rather than bashing the opponent out of the way. Why do they always have to have a stupid hairpin, the US manage to include street circuits in Inday cars, but the tracks are 6 cars wide not just over 2.

steve m - 16/7/19 at 07:10 PM

I am glad, most are with me on this, as I would really like to see this E style race on REAL tracks, the potential is immense, and some smaller tracks as said, could benefit immensely

I am not against electric cars, far from it, as it is our future, but the way it is portrayed at the moment is soooooo wrong

steve

FEZ1025 - 16/7/19 at 07:31 PM

For me another issue is that all the cars look identical it's difficult to work out who is who

coyoteboy - 16/7/19 at 08:14 PM

Well I've not looked this season but I find e much more fun than f1 last season, quite like it. Narrow tracks and street tracks are to get fans in close and bring it to the people, normal track racing is too elitist and no one buys tickets apart from real fans.
But track racing is naff compared to rally so I guess....

[Edited on 16/7/19 by coyoteboy]