Board logo

Lost wheel bolt security key
pewe - 13/8/19 at 08:16 PM

Guys, don't mock but I've lost the fricking key.
Any suggestions as to how/ where I can buy a new one?
Don't have the code or any info other than it's a 2010 BMW 5 Series.
Any suggestions greatfully received.
Cheers, Pewe10

rusty nuts - 13/8/19 at 08:24 PM

Take it to BMW , they will have or should have a master key set .

pewe - 13/8/19 at 08:32 PM

Thanks, Rusty. Bleeding obvious when you think about it! Guess my judgement's clouded by being p*ssed off for being so stupid.

theconrodkid - 13/8/19 at 09:21 PM

save on BMW prices, any decent tyre place will have the tools to get it off

steve m - 13/8/19 at 10:05 PM

Bmw will want a copy of the log book, in your name. and the car, and £75 plus, (we pay about £50)

I deal with this almost daily, as I work for an insurance company and hire cars, and our customers like to steal
locking wheel nuts all the time !

what the idiots don't know, is we add it to there bill,

steve

se7ensport - 13/8/19 at 11:20 PM

Or DIY..

2 options:
1. Hammer a socket over the offending nut
2. Buy a locking wheel nut remover kit, surprisingly inexpensive and a available through screwfix/toolstation etc.

gaz_gaz - 14/8/19 at 06:54 AM

i lost mine last week.

BMW have a master set. Drive down and they'll find the correct one. They charge £19.05 including VAT for a replacement.

nick205 - 14/8/19 at 08:26 AM

It's a bummer for sure!

I had to remove some a few years ago so MIG welded cut down bolts to the offending nuts and used a normal socket to remove. Bought a set of 4 new locking wheel bolts (with key) for £16 and moved on. Pi55ed me off at the time, but nothing got broken so no great harm done.

If you use this method be sure to protect the alloy wheel whilst welding so you don't have to live with damaged wheels or worse still the cost of replacing those as well.

pewe - 14/8/19 at 08:49 AM

Thanks for the replies.
Local main stealer will match for around £20 so l'll go with that on the grounds if ever it happens again...
Cheers, Pewe10.

Sorted, - qick trip to local main stealer - five minute job - bend over, sir, that'll be £30. Still st least I now still have the OE set and the reference code.
Thanks , Pewe10

[Edited on 14/8/19 by pewe]