Board logo

Untouchable songs
Shooter63 - 8/11/16 at 07:19 PM

I'm sitting here watching TV when an ad comes on which starts with Otis Redding dock of the bay half way through some gonk starts to " mix it"
In my mind certain tracks/album's should be totally off limits.

Old git rant over

Shooter

britishtrident - 8/11/16 at 07:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shooter63
I'm sitting here watching TV when an ad comes on which starts with Otis Redding dock of the bay half way through some gonk starts to " mix it"

Old git rant over

Shooter

Sady - Madonna's version of American Pie proved this is not so, what made me mad was Don MacLean was quite happy to endorse it in return for a big slice of the royalties.

bi22le - 8/11/16 at 08:04 PM

There are loada I can think of but tracey chapman fast car was the first that sprung into my mind.

There must be a remix of this released at least once a year, always terrible.

rusty nuts - 8/11/16 at 08:21 PM

Without you by Nielson even though it wasn't the original version was way better than Mariah Kerry

BigFaceDave - 8/11/16 at 08:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Without you by Nielson even though it wasn't the original version was way better than Mariah Kerry

And to think he died of a heart attack about a week before it was released! I'm not saying it's not a coincidence but my mum always referred to her as mariah the murderer! Not sure if she meant murdered the song or him!

britishtrident - 8/11/16 at 09:18 PM

There are exceptions, Hugh Laurie's blues tinted version of Alan Price's Changes was every bit as brilliant as the original.

nick205 - 9/11/16 at 09:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Shooter63

Old git rant over

Shooter

Not seen the advert myself, but I do agree some songs should be left alone!

r1_pete - 9/11/16 at 09:30 AM

Gonk = Will I Am

Dunno about the songs being left alone, some of my favorites respond well to different mixes - Call me the Breeze, Crossroads, I Shot the Sheriff....

Mash - 9/11/16 at 10:32 AM

I think a lot depends on the treatment the cover artist gives to the song, Fields of Gold is a beautiful song, and Eva Cassidy's version is really haunting.

On the other hand, the Heavily Pregnant Brothers rendition of No Oven no Pies (Oooops No Woman No Cry) is a piece of comedy genius

Irony - 9/11/16 at 11:08 AM

There are some great covers around though.

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes are a great covers band and bring a brilliant alternative to great songs. Probably not to everyones taste though.

Link

britishtrident - 9/11/16 at 04:37 PM

Same goes for movies .... Italian Job --- remake wasn't a "good idea"

loggyboy - 9/11/16 at 04:44 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onDr5DV07SI

steve m - 9/11/16 at 07:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Me too BT,

Ive never seen the American copy, and never will, as a classic film, is a classic, never to be repeated

steve

Mash - 11/11/16 at 08:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Me too BT,

Ive never seen the American copy, and never will, as a classic film, is a classic, never to be repeated

steve

"you were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off"

No-one else could do that line