Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Don't blame Glasgow -
britishtrident

posted on 24/7/14 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Don't blame Glasgow -

I spent much of last evening cringing at the first part of Commonwealth Games opening ceremony, although John Barrowman gave his all the rest was truly awful. I understand the reasons for Barrowman's gay kiss I have to wonder at the logic of casting Karen Dunbar and wonder if her sexuality took priority over her suitability for the role, it was like watching the original Dr Who as a very small child I wanted to hide behind the couch.

It was also clear that stars such as Eddi Reader, The Proclaimers, Elaine C. Smith, Alan Cummings, Brian Cox (actor) who are pro-Yes Campaign were persona non grata.

[Edited on 24/7/14 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 24/7/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Ninehigh

posted on 24/7/14 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
The Proclaimers WEREN'T there?

scootz

posted on 24/7/14 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Och it was what it was. A light-hearted laugh at ourselves and all done on the (relative) cheap. The danger was always going to be in drawing comparisons with London 2012... which is frankly ridiculous given the budget (and audience) disparity.

Dunbar was fine for the role she played... she has a strong voice and typically Scottish comical expressions.

And fair play to Barrowman. It's about time the world was dragged kicking and screaming into the modern age!

Loved the Scottie-dogs, the charitable-leanings, and Billy Connolly's segments (I never knew that that the SA consulate office was in the street they renamed 'Nelson Mandela Place'... only Glasgow would have the balls for such a 'get it right up you' statement!).

It's Evolution Baby!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.