Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT house purchase - what to do?
02GF74

posted on 20/1/09 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
OT house purchase - what to do?

I desperately wantto buy a house coz I don't trust the banks with my savings.

With current interest rate being low and folks wanting to sell, there shoul be bargains about.

Plan is to get a low rate fixed term for say 5 to 10 years and borrom more than is sensible - after the term ends, the interest rate may be such that I cannot aford to pay hence I would sell. That is probalby how the current crises started but I'll take that risk.

Property I saw is in middle of field with woods nearby, bridlepath running along boundary. It is a repo so would need gutting internally.

Should I be worried about secuirty being so isoated?

Heating is oil fired - I am not keen on that, would prefer gas - is that a concern?

Agents have it advertised with outbuildings - in reality bits of wood with fence panels that a couple of half decent kung-fu kicks would bring down. Plan woudl be to build 3 or 4 car garage. I assume I would be able to call up local council to find out what the planning permission for that would be? Also if the construction needs to be sympathetic to teh house - i.e. brick out as opposed to block/render?

Also I presume that local council would tell me about the alnd belonging to the property? There is a scout camp nedxt door and arrangement is that previous owner was able to use some of the land as the road leading to the house belongs to the house and is only access to the camp.

What do you think? Rescued attachment ggg.JPG
Rescued attachment ggg.JPG

02GF74

posted on 20/1/09 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
and the house Rescued attachment hhh.JPG
Rescued attachment hhh.JPG

DarrenW

posted on 20/1/09 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Only you can really decide if such purchase makes financial sense.

House looks quite good. Access wouldnt worry me as long as its down in the deeds and there are no covenants that say the scout camp can lock the gates and stop you useing it at any time.

Ref garage - check planning permission with local council. They are usually very helpful. They wont say yes or know over the phone but will tell you if there are likely to be problems (conservation area etc). Dont knock down the wooden bits until planning is granted. Its sometimes easier to get if there is already something on the same footprint that is to be improved.

Security will always be an issue in some rural locations. Ask the scout camp if they get problems.

I assume the scout camp is far enough away so noise wont be an issue at weekends etc.

MikeRJ

posted on 20/1/09 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like a lovely house, I dream of owning something like that one day.

Sash windows though, are they double glazed? It'll take some heating if not, so you'd be wise to move away from oil if possible.

iank

posted on 20/1/09 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
I'd love a house like that - good find if you can get it for the right money.

I'd look a bit more into the agreement between the PO and the scouts. Specifically did it create a legal right of way across 'your' land? You need legal advise on this - and possibly an indemnity insurance if it's not completely clear.
If it did you need to be careful as someone could buy the field, build a housing estate on it and your drive would be the access road.

Need to talk to the gas companies to see how much getting connected would cost - could be more than it's worth depending on where the nearest main runs. Maybe look into wood burning systems.

Agree with ^^^ don't knock down the existing outbuildings before getting PP/written confirmation saying PP not required.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

DarrenW

posted on 20/1/09 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
I know pictures can be deceptive, but the appearance suggests that it is a house that has been very well looked after.

What ever you do if you buy it dont fit plastic double glazing. A house like that warrants good quality double glazed sash windows. imho of course.

A decent solicitor should be able to advise on the access rights etc. They should also be abl eto do a chancel search 9i hope i got that term right). Sometimes houses in villages can find themselves paying for repairs to the chancel (part of the local church). The fewer the houses and grander the church the more each householder pays. Its a very old rule that was exercised a few years back. Fear not though as a relatively inexpensive indemnity policy can protect you from it.

As above - id love a house like that too. A rare find with what looks like a healthy lump of land. You may not get permission for grand new garage but im wondering if a replacement timber construction in the same style would be OK (i think they are classed as temporary structures). Inside could be made of more secure material (if it were me id be tempted to skin the inside with thermalite blocks and have an external wood skin. but that is stretching things a bit).

02GF74

posted on 20/1/09 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
thx for the +ve comments.

guess I am gonna make some phone calls to the land registry people and so on. as well as speak to mortgage advisor.

despite external appearances, the inside would need redecorating.

I don't think it is listed building.

For good or for bad, it is iolated, in centre of photo below, bear in mind it is stones throw from M25, if you are geaff capes maybe.

some big decision though - I owuld need to hire some storage for bikes, cars and stuff until there is somewhere to secure them etc.

my estiamtes the company that owns it is loosing £ 1 K a week so I guess they will be pretty keen to sell..

[Edited on 20/1/09 by 02GF74] Rescued attachment iii.JPG
Rescued attachment iii.JPG

02GF74

posted on 20/1/09 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
ooh, look who has discrovered bird's eye feature - track running along the top is a bridleway; out buildings on the right, now if there were solid garage building ..........

access is lower right corner Rescued attachment jjj.JPG
Rescued attachment jjj.JPG

02GF74

posted on 20/1/09 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
ok, I'll admit it, I've still not gotten over the bird's eye view feature.

seem's they got my volvo - the big red thing in the middle and my Land Rover is on the drive - notice the garage door is open!

amazing this satellite stuff innit!

I suppose this could start a "show us yours" type of thread! Rescued attachment kkk.JPG
Rescued attachment kkk.JPG

DarrenW

posted on 20/1/09 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Bikes storage is quite easy to solve in the short term - you could put a container on site or find a room to stick them in while you are doing the house up.

Ive often wondered why a container couldnt be covered by a shed so as to improve its looks but still provide 20' x 10' of fairly secure and weatherproof storage inside. (Or are they 8' wide??). Would never look as good as proper garage.

iank

posted on 20/1/09 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Very much doubt that extension (nicely done though it is) would have been allowed if it was listed.

Here's my 'umble abode
Description
Description

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

02GF74

posted on 20/1/09 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
look at the length and angle of the chimney shadows - it should be possible to work out the time of day and time of year when the photo was taken.... although you would need to know where north is so not so easy.

RoadkillUK

posted on 20/1/09 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
I thought I'd play.

You can see the Locost arrowed, it's just covered, no garage.

also you can see my previous Xantia at the end of the road (Silver) and the wifes Saxo (Burgundy)

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 20/1/09 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
As long as you can afford it, I'd buy that. I'd love to live in a place like that.
Just one thing though, can you hear the M25 at all? If so, it could well ruin what would otherwise be a nice forest location. As for the garages/sheds, you can normally get PP to change a structure as long as you don't substantially change it's foot print or height, but don't knock anything over before getting it in writing.

Oh, no bird's eye view where I live.

[Edited on 20/1/09 by DIY Si]

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Fred W B

posted on 20/1/09 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

container (Or are they 8' wide??).

This I know : "Standard" 20 foot boxes are 6058 long x 2438 wide x 2591 high mm outside dimensions, but you do get "overwide" and "overhigh" boxes that are up to 2550 mm wide and 2670 high

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

JoelP

posted on 20/1/09 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
my estiamtes the company that owns it is loosing £ 1 K a week so I guess they will be pretty keen to sell..

just curious how you've worked that out?

Cos if its either depreciation or interest on a mortgage, you will see the same loss! And theres not many employments that can cover a grand a week loss

I think now is a bad time to buy. You want to time the bottom of the market, or at least comfortably near the bottom that you can be sure prices will soon rise past what you paid. We are currently a long way from the bottom IMHO.

David Jenkins

posted on 20/1/09 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Look Mum, I can see my car from space!*

(It's the yellow and silver thing in the driveway)

* OK - maybe it was taken from a plane for Google... Rescued attachment Screenshot.jpg
Rescued attachment Screenshot.jpg

RK

posted on 21/1/09 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote
one word: solicitor. Get one and make him look into all the legal possibilities. You don't want the scouts blocking the drive one day...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.