Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First MOT
Rogthebandit

posted on 3/6/14 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
First MOT

Hi

My Mk passed the iva last July. It's on an age related plate hence I didn't register it as all new. I was of the opinion that I need to mot it this July? I ask as there is an Mk on eBay that has an age related plate yet stating that the first mot is 3 years. Anyone else been here?
Cheers
Rog

adithorp

posted on 3/6/14 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
MOT is due at 3 years from date of first registration. Your V5 will list that as last year. However the DVLA system isn't set-up to recognise this and will base say you need an MOT based on the number plate year when you come to tax it.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Rogthebandit

posted on 3/6/14 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
MOT is due at 3 years from date of first registration. Your V5 will list that as last year. However the DVLA system isn't set-up to recognise this and will base say you need an MOT based on the number plate year when you come to tax it.

Cheers for that, I didn't know it was 3 years. How do you get around the tax issue with no mot ?

K13JOB

posted on 3/6/14 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
How does a new car just passed an IVA get registered with an "age related" plate when a new car has no age?
Macbeast

posted on 4/6/14 at 05:36 AM Reply With Quote
I've just done first MOT, 3 years after first registration.
In previous years, I used to take V5 to the Post Office and they had no problem taxing it, even though the DVLA reminder said MOT required.

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

snapper

posted on 4/6/14 at 05:54 AM Reply With Quote
Tax is not an issue as DVLA database shows date of first registration
The VOSA IVA test is considered stringent enough to warrant a longer period to first MOT
I happy with this but with further thought would not complain if new reg only got the 3 year MOT reprieve and Age related and Q annually

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

mccsp

posted on 4/6/14 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
I was able to tax mine without any issues or hoop jumping for the first year. Just go through the online system it will tell you if it thinks you need an MOT, if it does then worry about the hoops.

Why do it the easy way, when I can do things my way!

Rogthebandit

posted on 4/6/14 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the feedback guys. I will try and tax the car again. It's a bonus if I don't need to do mots for 3 years ;-) although my kit gets 10 times the attension my other cars get and would go through the mot no probs. just less hassle not having to do it yet ;-)
CosKev3

posted on 4/6/14 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by K13JOB
How does a new car just passed an IVA get registered with an "age related" plate when a new car has no age?

Depends if you have the V5 from donor vehicle, if so you can choose if you want a new reg or use the donor V5 to get you a age related V5 when registering.
Is that what you are asking?

ashg

posted on 4/6/14 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
i did my car on an age related plate and was able to tax it online without mot for the first three years. if it doesnt work then call the dvla and get it sorted.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

ReMan

posted on 4/6/14 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
+1
Age related plate is not connected with post IVA registration date.
just another frequent DVLA cock up

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

matt_gsxr

posted on 4/6/14 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
I think I went to the post-office and took a copy of this form with me.

http://www.blackpool.gov.uk/Business/Licensing-and-permits/Forms/DVLA-V112-Form-(MOT-exemption).pdf

Zip to the end before you say your car isn't a tram!

The online process works fine too, but if you insurer hasn't got their s**t 2gether then it they can be a bit slow to get the details onto the database, which scupper the online approach.

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

mcerd1

posted on 4/6/14 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by K13JOB

you get 3 options when registering any kitcar after the IVA test:

1 - Brand new registration - this requires you to have proof that all the major parts fitted to your car are brand new and have never been used on another vehicle before (except 1 major component which must be reconditioned 'as new' )
this way you get the latest reg plate (this is how most new caterhams and the like get new reg plates)
but the cost of buying everything brand new is just silly

2 - Age related - this is where you have proof that at least 2 major components came from a single donor car, you hand in the V5 for this donor when you register it and they give you a plate of the same age as the donor car (but not the same plate as the donor) - this is meant to let any future buyers know that its built from previously used parts
this way you can change it for a private plate if you like, but it must be the same age or older than the age related plate (just like it would have been on the donor car)

3 - 'Q' Plate - this is when you can't prove where your major components came from - or at least you didn't have at least 2 from a single donor...
You can't change the plates on Q plate cars, but as a bonus all Q plate cars use the pre-1973 emissions rules at the MOT (regardless of what the IVA test required)
On tin-tops a Q plate would be bad - but its very common on kitcars so they don't carry any real stigma

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.