Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: How to cap chassis rails
Slimy38

posted on 6/7/14 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
How to cap chassis rails

I need to look at finishing off the chassis, and that means plugging the holes. What's the best way to cap the ends, bearing in mind that some finish on a panel so I think they'll need to sit flush? I have 1mm plate available, but I can't see how to hold such a small piece in place below the surface while I weld. (I'm mainly thinking about the 19mm transmission tunnel openings)

[Edited on 6/7/14 by Slimy38]

Bigheppy

posted on 6/7/14 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Cut plate to fit inside tube then hold in place using magnet tack corners remove magnet and finish weld grind smooth ready for paint.
MikeR

posted on 6/7/14 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
6inch nail, tack to centre of plate. Weld. Wiggle nail till its no longer attached to the plate. Or fingers in welding gloves. Tack the right hand side, hammer flat if its not. Weld rest.
David Jenkins

posted on 6/7/14 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bigheppy
Cut plate to fit inside tube then hold in place using magnet tack corners remove magnet and finish weld grind smooth ready for paint.

Pretty much what I did...
...it's easier than it sounds!

blakep82

posted on 6/7/14 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
10 Plastic Blanking End Caps Square Tube Insert 25mm 1"'

Bit of sikaflex to help seal, tap tap tap, lovely stuff

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

loggyboy

posted on 6/7/14 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Shouldn't the ends have been chamfered so no ends were exposed?

Mistral Motorsport

Slimy38

posted on 6/7/14 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bigheppy

This worked perfectly, thank you. Although I keep forgetting how difficult it is to weld the end of a tube! Thankfully it only needs to be watertight rather than structural.

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Shouldn't the ends have been chamfered so no ends were exposed?

Yes in some cases (particularly the rear suspension frame), and most other tubes lead from one to the next, but the front frame top and bottom, a transmission tunnel horizontal tube and a couple other tubes have an open end. I think I counted about a dozen ends that need sealing.

ashg

posted on 7/7/14 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
i wouldn't completely seal the ends off. i found on my car water has a habbit of getting in the chassis through drill holes rivet holes threads etc so cap the end off then put a little drill hole in the end at the bottom of the of the tube so any trapped moisture can get out.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Slimy38

posted on 7/7/14 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
i wouldn't completely seal the ends off. i found on my car water has a habbit of getting in the chassis through drill holes rivet holes threads etc so cap the end off then put a little drill hole in the end at the bottom of the of the tube so any trapped moisture can get out.

Good suggestion, thanks. I think the capped ends aren't going to be opened up again so I'll carry on with those. But certainly there are others where things will be riveted on so I'll consider drain holes in those. I was planning on waxoyling the exposed tubes so the drain holes will help for that.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.