Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mazda 3 MPS 2.3T - Is it a Duratec?
mccsp

posted on 29/7/14 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Mazda 3 MPS 2.3T - Is it a Duratec?

Hi,

I was wondering, is the 2.3T in the Mazda 3 MPS a turbocharged version of the 2.3 Duratec?

Does anyone know what the differences are?

If it is a Duratec, why are people not using this engine as a donor? Is the 2.3 Duratec the same externally as the 2.0? I was under the impression it was and that the stroke is longer, is this correct?

Anyone know if the Mazda 3 MPS 2.3T is any good?

Why do it the easy way, when I can do things my way!

Mr C

posted on 29/7/14 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
I understand its essentially a duratec good for around 265bhp and fairly tunable with minor mods to 300-330bhp without too much aggro. Mazda parts are expensive compared to ford though I'm sure parts are interchangable. £36 for a spigot bearing (£6 ford part) I'd already gone too far down the supercharged 2.0 duratec route to change. I am using the mps 6 speed transverse gearbox as I'm building a mid engined car and the transverse box from the fiesta ST is made from butter.

Not massively knowledgable on these engines, though in hindsight it would have been an easier/better/cheaper option for me. Well worth some serious thought.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

beaver34

posted on 30/7/14 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
yes its duratec,

however it is long stroke compared to the 2.0 so higher which isnt ideal for kit applications, and its rare

mccsp

posted on 30/7/14 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
It's not just a longer through crank then?

Figured they were harder to find but if the Mazda 2.3t is truly a tiro version, sounds like a good option, if it fits? Must be a catch though or more people would put them in retro fords.

beaver34

posted on 30/7/14 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mccsp
It's not just a longer through crank then?

Figured they were harder to find but if the Mazda 2.3t is truly a tiro version, sounds like a good option, if it fits? Must be a catch though or more people would put them in retro fords.

i presume its the same as the n/a 2.3 duratec in the smax and transit so if it is the block is higher vs the 2.0 not a massive amount but has caused issues when fitting in fiesta fwd

pjay

posted on 30/7/14 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
It may also have a balance shaft for the crank which takes power. Worth a read on the Burton website I think they mention the 2.3 there.
threadbare wallet

posted on 30/7/14 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Use it of you can its a great engine in the mazda! Really torquey would love to use it in a seven would be incredible,you can get the mps cheaper now especially smacked up ones so look about the engines will be around.

Very few things are "really" needed.

matt5964

posted on 30/7/14 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
On the bay

I had a 6MPS AWD and the mid range was awesome nice usable engine

[Edited on 30/7/14 by matt5964]

[Edited on 30/7/14 by matt5964]

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

mccsp

posted on 1/8/14 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I am not looking to change. we were just discussing the mazda 3 mps, which got me wondering given that the duratec engine was originally mazda designed

Furyous

posted on 1/8/14 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mccsp
If it is a Duratec, why are people not using this engine as a donor?

I haven't checked recently but when I got my Duratec there were dozens on ebay for £150-300. There were only a couple of MZR engines and they were well over £1,000, and they weren't even the turbo version.

threadbare wallet

posted on 2/8/14 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
I just think its one of the cars that didnt sell to the "masses" so isnt widely know about and didnt sell in a lot of numbers so there arent the engines about to get? When i start my build in a few years i will be using either one of theses or a type r engine in a ,in a mid engined car.

Very few things are "really" needed.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.