Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Thought my back axle had given up!
David Jenkins

posted on 17/8/15 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thought my back axle had given up!

This morning I was pootling along at around 30mph when all of a sudden there was a horrible graunching noise (as it seemed to me) from behind. Thinking that something had failed at the back of the car I was all set to pull over when, in my peripheral vision, I saw an Apache helicopter cruising about 150 ft over me, going just 10 or 15 mph faster... ugly, noisy beggars! We often see them go over, but usually a fair bit higher - where I live, they use the traffic on the A12 for sighting practice, according to someone who worked on the base.

This one was very low and, in the direction he was heading, he couldn't avoid going over a large village - very naughty, as they're not supposed to fly so low over populated areas.

Got some compensation later though - a spitfire came over my house this afternoon, but at a legal height.

rusty nuts

posted on 17/8/15 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
150 ft that's pretty high, I had one come over the top of the boat we were on about 5 years ago when we were cruising the Norfolk Broads. I reckon he was no higher than 20ft and the down draft was enough to rock the boat.
David Jenkins

posted on 17/8/15 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Many years ago I was driving down near the bottom of a valley in North Wales when I was overtaken by an A10 at the same altitude as me... but that's another story!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.